This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. What's the big deal with Studio Ghibil films?

User Info: Capnvideogame

Capnvideogame
1 week ago#1
Just watched a bunch of their films..don't really get how everyone admires films like my neighbour tokoro, spirited away and whatnot. Am I missing the point of why these films are good?

People say Nintendo is behind times and yet, no one besides them seems to get why DRM sucks.

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
1 week ago#2
No...most of them are average imo

--Let me not lie. I've only seen like two or three. And they were actually bad.
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
1 week ago#3
Capnvideogame posted...
Just watched a bunch of their films..don't really get how everyone admires films like my neighbour tokoro, spirited away and whatnot. Am I missing the point of why these films are good?
That's rather vague... What made you feel that the movies are bad?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering. Born of God and Void.

Capnvideogame
1 week ago#4
Dirak posted...
That's rather vague... What made you feel that the movies are bad?

I don't find them bad...but they are just rather simple. What is the appeal of my neighbour tokoro? There is literally no connection to the girls and that bunny except on one small part near the end where the bunny helps to find her sister.

Spirited Away...what's the moral here? Its just a girl trapped in an illusion world and the end result just came to be nothing but just going back.

What's the appeal to them is what's bothering me. Perhaps I don't understand much of life initself that maybe the movies are trying to put into...idk.

People say Nintendo is behind times and yet, no one besides them seems to get why DRM sucks.

User Info: reptyle101

reptyle101
1 week ago#5
they're fun and good
Chase the morning
Yield for nothing

User Info: MinusN

MinusN
1 week ago#6
I guess I'll chime in here but It won't change your view much,
First let me ask Why you like anime?
next as for Studio Ghibli in particular most are directed by older guys, Hayao Miyazaki who's made a lot of them
cares a lot about nature and thinks kids aren't getting out and exploring the world as much with technology so easily available.
I can't give you a definitive reason to think Spirited Away is good but Chihiro in the movie is being forced to move schools with her parents work,
She has all this fear and sadness about being away from what she knows but through her journey in this spirit world place she learns to adapt and grow then saves her parents.
after that it's not clear if she even really went to the spirit world at all but she's not feeling down anymore.

Basically Studio Ghibli stuff is heavily influenced by the director in charge, sure they do adaptions of other work but a lot of it is original very Japanese thinking by older guys.
Princess Mononoke is one of the most straight forward ones to understand with some like Lupin the third The Castle of Cagliostro being just fun comedies.
Just watch a few more if you are curious enough.
(edited 1 week ago)

Capnvideogame
1 week ago#7
MinusN posted...
First let me ask Why you like anime?

I like anime mostly because its different interms of style. Humor isn't as amazing or anything that's memorable either because I don't get the humor or its been done through death such as running gags.

Yeah...I guess I can try to watch few more of their movies.

The Last Unicorn is their best movie.

And now the thread will devolve into a debate over whether or not The Last Unicorn counts as a Ghibli movie.
https://abicion.tumblr.com/post/190503588207/
Perilous Heroine: The Heroine Tries Her Best to Help People Out But She Keeps Ending Up in Troubling Situations

User Info: Bako Ikporamee

Bako Ikporamee
1 week ago#9
They just had higher effort put in to their marketing from the licenser
Official "Bako Ikporamee" of GameFAQs
https://www.leetshoe.com

User Info: Dirak

Dirak
1 week ago#10
For me, they are much like Disney films. They look pretty, have a good message and are pretty safe for the most part.
No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering. Born of God and Void.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. What's the big deal with Studio Ghibil films?
  • Post New Message