This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Neon Genesis Evangelion Netflix (VSI LA) dub cast

User Info: KaijunoKami

KaijunoKami
4 months ago#11
I find it hard to believe the new dub can be any worse than the old one since ADV's dub was garbage.

I'm not surprised Netflix doesn't have the ending theme, but hey, at least you got the opening. Us Ultraman fans didn't even get that with the Ultraman anime.

User Info: AskDNA

AskDNA
4 months ago#12
Vulcan422 posted...
Very unfortunate that they couldn't just get the cast of Rebuild back.

That being said, Ray Chase as Gendo and Clifford Chapin as Kaworu have piqued my interest so I'll definitely check this out.

EDIT: They actually removed Fly Me to the Moon? f***ing Christ, this is already looking to be starting off on a low note.

Cliff (The voice of Kaworu) is my old roommate from college and it's insane hearing him in the new dub after we watched Eva in our dorm over and over and over again haha

Netflix messed up tho big time and hasn't credited him in the episodes' credits. I really hope they remedy that ASAP!
"When the fire goes out, you'll start feeling the cold. You'll wake up whether you want to or not." ~Landscape With Flatiron
Just wait until you guys get to the last few episodes and End of Evangelion.

Anno's captions aren't subbed at all and they've nerfed several impactful lines such as

a remorseful "I'm so f***ed up" is now a dramatic "I'm the lowest...of the lows."

Misato's raged "SO f***ING WHAT IF I'M NOT YOU" is now a disgruntled "fine so i'm a stranger."

Also no one can pronounce NERV. it's NIERFRE
In Brady We Trust.
I've finally realized the secret to making a successful Mearn topic. Make it about CZG - Mearn

User Info: De-

De-
4 months ago#14
AskDNA posted...
Vulcan422 posted...
Very unfortunate that they couldn't just get the cast of Rebuild back.

That being said, Ray Chase as Gendo and Clifford Chapin as Kaworu have piqued my interest so I'll definitely check this out.

EDIT: They actually removed Fly Me to the Moon? f***ing Christ, this is already looking to be starting off on a low note.

Cliff (The voice of Kaworu) is my old roommate from college and it's insane hearing him in the new dub after we watched Eva in our dorm over and over and over again haha

Netflix messed up tho big time and hasn't credited him in the episodes' credits. I really hope they remedy that ASAP!

I'm certain that's set in stone unless they change the dub entirely, like with that one anime that had an amateur cast from Florida. Sorry about that.

Charismic Zach Gowen posted...
Just wait until you guys get to the last few episodes and End of Evangelion.

Anno's captions aren't subbed at all and they've nerfed several impactful lines such as

a remorseful "I'm so f***ed up" is now a dramatic "I'm the lowest...of the lows."

Misato's raged "SO f***ING WHAT IF I'M NOT YOU" is now a disgruntled "fine so i'm a stranger."

Also no one can pronounce NERV. it's NIERFRE

Don't know if I blame the DUB team or the Japanese licensor for strict mandates on how to translate the script (like it was for Evangelion 3.0).
But I could be wrong...
De- posted...
Don't know if I blame the DUB team or the Japanese licensor for strict mandates on how to translate the script (like it was for Evangelion 3.0).

Either way, the literal translation feels soulless, especially Shinji being referred to as the Third Children. like wtf is that.
In Brady We Trust.
I've finally realized the secret to making a successful Mearn topic. Make it about CZG - Mearn

User Info: MabinogiFan

MabinogiFan
4 months ago#16
New dub's pretty good. I watched the old one a decade ago and I found it hard to take seriously most of the time. This one's a lot more grounded and not as over-the-top.

User Info: Eat Man

Eat Man
4 months ago#17
MabinogiFan posted...
New dub's pretty good. I watched the old one a decade ago and I found it hard to take seriously most of the time. This one's a lot more grounded and not as over-the-top.

Still, it’s a classic dub come on
Oops, my bad, that's my scenario.

User Info: ScrappyDingo

ScrappyDingo
4 months ago#18
Charismic Zach Gowen posted...
especially Shinji being referred to as the Third Children. like wtf is that.

Sounds like Japan pushing their stupid mistakes on the dubs again.

Like in 3.0 and forcing "Arucard" in Hellsing Ultimate.
Cancer free 48 months and counting!
EAGLES ARE SUPER BOWL LII CHAMPIONS

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
4 months ago#19
At the very least, I find Shinji a marked improvement, and closer to what he should sound like, rather than whiny high pitched Spike Spencer. More morose and feminine like in the original. That was always the worst part of the dub for me. I've always been, and always will be, probably, a dub guy, but Evangelion's dub is one I just never liked after I fell in love with the series. Mainly because I felt Spike Spencer ruins Shinji.

User Info: Blue_Inigo

Blue_Inigo
4 months ago#20
They took out Shinji's best line so I have a hard time caring tbh
"This is your last dance."
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Neon Genesis Evangelion Netflix (VSI LA) dub cast
  • Topic Archived