This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Why The Cat Returns manga is far better than the anime.

User Info: LoveMyMeow

LoveMyMeow
1 month ago#1
The original manga of The Cat Returns by Aoi Hiiragi has a much more subtle, evocative message than its movie adaptation. The manga's primary theme involves coming to terms with the loss of a loved one, and it has a more magical realist touch that blurs the line between inner and outer. However, the movie solely places emphasis on believing in oneself, which feels trite by itself. It, thereby, changed significant plot elements, which degraded Aoi Hiiragi's original numinous vision. Moreover, the manga has many oneiric scenes that the movie left out, some of which tread on metaphysical territory that is difficult to discuss without spoiling. The manga has a high-art vibe that makes you question whether our inner worlds could be considered "alive" and what it means to bond with other beings; it effectively conveys such profound, deep questions through its use of ambiguity during key moments, giving it an ethereal and mysterious atmosphere. The manga somewhat resembles a story by Kenji Miyazawa.

Overall, I recommend the manga. The movie did a disservice to Aoi Hiiragi's vision. It is very hard to appreciate a movie adaptation when you see how superior the original source material is. Granted, I still recommend watching the movie but only after you've read the manga. It is nice to compare and contrast them. Finally, on a humorous note, the title "The Cat Returns" doesn't make sense in the context of the movie's plot, but it does makes sense in relation to the original manga.

User Info: thisranks

thisranks
1 month ago#2
LoveMyMeow posted...
The original manga of The Cat Returns by Aoi Hiiragi has a much more subtle, evocative message than its movie adaptation. The manga's primary theme involves coming to terms with the loss of a loved one, and it has a more magical realist touch that blurs the line between inner and outer. However, the movie solely places emphasis on believing in oneself, which feels trite by itself. It, thereby, changed significant plot elements, which degraded Aoi Hiiragi's original numinous vision. Moreover, the manga has many oneiric scenes that the movie left out, some of which tread on metaphysical territory that is difficult to discuss without spoiling. The manga has a high-art vibe that makes you question whether our inner worlds could be considered "alive" and what it means to bond with other beings; it effectively conveys such profound, deep questions through its use of ambiguity during key moments, giving it an ethereal and mysterious atmosphere. The manga somewhat resembles a story by Kenji Miyazawa.

Overall, I recommend the manga. The movie did a disservice to Aoi Hiiragi's vision. It is very hard to appreciate a movie adaptation when you see how superior the original source material is. Granted, I still recommend watching the movie but only after you've read the manga. It is nice to compare and contrast them. Finally, on a humorous note, the title "The Cat Returns" doesn't make sense in the context of the movie's plot, but it does makes sense in relation to the original manga.

While you are likely right (with all due respect others may think differently) you have to remember that anime and movies that are based off LNs and manga are time limited and/or material limited due to the allowance of how long they can make the movie/anime.

A long manga or LN that only ends up allowed 1 12 show season or a 2 hour movie is in no way going to be able to give you the full experience that either the LN/manga could ever do.

That said, anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together already understands this therefore it basically turns your argument into a complaint. If you expected more out of the movie then you got knowing what you know it doesn't make you look very wise.
While we all may have a right to our opinions by no means does that make anyone's opinion right. Yoko Hikasa has an incredible singing voice.

LoveMyMeow
1 month ago#3
thisranks posted...
LoveMyMeow posted...

While you are likely right (with all due respect others may think differently) you have to remember that anime and movies that are based off LNs and manga are time limited and/or material limited due to the allowance of how long they can make the movie/anime.

A long manga or LN that only ends up allowed 1 12 show season or a 2 hour movie is in no way going to be able to give you the full experience that either the LN/manga could ever do.

That said, anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together already understands this therefore it basically turns your argument into a complaint. If you expected more out of the movie then you got knowing what you know it doesn't make you look very wise.

The manga is one volume and pretty short. My criticism of the movie is that it changed the fundamental meaning of the story, and the movie did adapt pretty much everything from the manga but changed some significant plot elements. Anyone with two brain cells would have been able to tell this based on my review and looking up basic details.

User Info: User_94

User_94
1 month ago#4
I've heard about this complain from most Ghibli adaptions specifically Nausicaa and Howl's Castle. The primary market for Ghibli are kids so them casualizing works to make them easier to digest is understandable.

I wanted to check out the Nausicaa manga for a while now and after your post will add Cat Returns to my list since I enjoyed the movie.

LoveMyMeow
1 month ago#5
User_94 posted...
I've heard about this complain from most Ghibli adaptions specifically Nausicaa and Howl's Castle. The primary market for Ghibli are kids so them casualizing works to make them easier to digest is understandable.

I wanted to check out the Nausicaa manga for a while now and after your post will add Cat Returns to my list since I enjoyed the movie.

Yeah, the thing about the original Nausicaa and Howl's Castle is they are pretty long, so liberties had to be taken to adapt them into a movie. In the case of the Nausicaa movie, it was finished before the completion of the manga, which is quite long. However, with The Cat Returns manga, most of it was adapted because it was a short one-shot, but a few important plot elements were changed, which ruined the whole meaning of the source material. To give you an idea: The title makes absolutely no sense for the movie, but it does make a lot of sense for the manga. I also feel the manga had one scene that was too difficult for the movie animators to adapt and bring into animated form. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the manga!
(message deleted)

LoveMyMeow
1 month ago#7
thisranks posted...

Sigh ... it doesn't change the fact that this happens more often than not in all anime/movie/tv shows, etc.

Meanings change, actions change, etc. ... the creators of said movies/animes/tv shows etc.are given leeway to do as they wish. This is done to draw people to the original work so they can view that. Harry Potter is a perfect example of this. The movies bastardized the books. (oddly enough even though i am aware of this you don't see me complaining about it on a website ... i simply accept the fact that was the way J.K. Rowling wanted it and who the hell am i to matter).

So no, if you knew that then i'd give you credit for having 2 brain cells. Often on Gamefaqs do i see the exact same complaint you make about material or the meaning of the show being changed in anime. You're just another in a long list of whiners here who complain when they don't get their way instead of realizing you can't control other people, places, and things.

I find talking to you a pain in the ass. I am giving a review, not complaining for no good reason. In my view, good adaptations do their best to stick to the fundamental vision of the source material. I have seen plenty of adaptations do this while trimming other elements for time constraints without sacrificing the overall theme or message of the work. You're the one who lacks two brain cells for acting like a drama queen incapable of having a well-manner discussion. You can't even write English properly! Just buzz off, troll.

You're the only one complaining here, not me. I was simply giving a review in a courteous matter before you resorted to personal attacks.

User Info: tonicpalin

tonicpalin
1 month ago#8
Clickbait title, Thanks.
WELCOME TO PALIN'S TRAVELS-Michael Palin, 25th September 2002.
https://www.palinstravels.co.uk/static-97

LoveMyMeow
1 month ago#9
tonicpalin posted...
Clickbait title, Thanks.

There's nothing clickbaity about the title whatsoever. If there were no TOS, I would be saying some very mean things right now.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Why The Cat Returns manga is far better than the anime.
  • Topic Archived