This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Do you love anime/manga enough to actually learn japanese?

User Info: JJ Ching

JJ Ching
3 months ago#1
Translations may not be accurate and things often get lost in translation, after all.
One who can accept what happens to them without complaint and without craving will never, ever be disappointed.

User Info: DK DeathKnight

DK DeathKnight
3 months ago#2
I've tried but apparently I have the language learning skills of a peanut, I can never remember any other languages but English, and I'm a hardcore traveller.
PSN: CrowsZero_
Playing: League of Legends, Tokiden: Kiwami, Bloodborne.

User Info: aki_sora

aki_sora
3 months ago#3
Yes.
this is GFAQs and stating an opinion is a declaration of WAR!
Own PS3 & PS VITA

User Info: FortePlus

FortePlus
3 months ago#4
No
[Hero of Canuckistan] - rage BURST // Listen to what I'm saying: I'm better than you. Nahmean?
BET makes my brain cry.~ Gnorry

User Info: User_94

User_94
3 months ago#5
Nope. Tried it 5 years ago but I hate rote learning and just couldn't do it. I'm taking basic JP again since my company is offering it but don't know how I'm going to pull through once I reach Kanji.

User Info: TheSocialBunny

TheSocialBunny
3 months ago#6
Apparently yes, although I can only read it on the most basic of levels and pull an Error 404 whenever I read Kanji that are more than 6 strokes (Ability to actually speak it is... is basically nonexistent without relying on frequently pointing at Google Translate on a mobile device). ^_~

In my limited experience, its more about cultural familiarity when it comes to understanding the things lost in translation rather than the literal word itself. Something like "Onii-chan" is super easy to translate as "Older Brother" and is widely known among anime fans. However, the reason why you can't usually do a 1-to-1 replacement for "Onii-chan" in English with "Dude", "Bro", "Big Brother", or Brother Dearest" is that they don't contain the same cultural sub-text as a word of endearment (The closest English equivalent is addressing your older brother by a unique childhood nickname... but not all characters have such a thing).

In my case, trying to learn Japanese mostly came out of desperation to play import JRPGs rather than because of anime/manga though, ahahahaa. ~^_^~

User Info: Edgeknight

Edgeknight
3 months ago#7
I'm currently at the level where I can mostly read hiragana and katakana but slowly and learning the basic grammar.

I've reached quasi-fluency in a couple of languages before but just didn't encounter them often enough to keep it.
"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." -matchulinch

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
3 months ago#8
I'm at JLPT3 right now and my experience with the Japanese media has definitely improved ever since I started learning. I wouldn't say I'm studying it just for manga and anime, but they're all the more reason.

Seems like everyone is learning Japanese these days, wouldn't want to feel left behind.
Everything will be fire.

User Info: GuiltyCrown

GuiltyCrown
3 months ago#9
Not really. Have been reading manga more than 10 years, and I still read or pronounce more than 4 Japanese words.
#YesOnMyPhone

User Info: Lord Seth

Lord Seth
3 months ago#10
I tried in college, but the pace was ridiculously fast (I recall hearing later it was one of the fastest paced Japanese courses in the country) so I couldn't really keep up and bailed after only 3 semesters. Unfortunately, I've forgotten almost all of the Kanji in the interim.

I really wish it had been taught at my high school, then I could've learned it all at a slower pace.
"If you make the outcome of the match about passion, then you might as well be saying that the loser just didn't want it enough." -Kei Tachikawa
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Do you love anime/manga enough to actually learn japanese?
  • Topic Archived