This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Am I the only one seeing how nearly all anime/manga are now recycled isekai's?

User Info: Mackorov

Mackorov
1 week ago#1
Japan used to be a thriving hub of creative anime/manga stories. But now it's turned pure trash. It's like authors have run out of ideas and are just copying the same old formula over and over.

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
1 week ago#2
Have you actually watched anime for any length of time?

Because jumping on a bandwagon and copying the latest trend has always been a thing. Hell not even just with anime. Video games and movies are no different. How many battle royale's can you play right now, how many zombie games came out before that. How many terrible dark re-imaginings of fairy tales did we get? How many failed "cinematic universes" now?
Common sense is just wisdom with its sleeves rolled up

User Info: TheSocialBunny

TheSocialBunny
1 week ago#3
Isekai is more of a trope convention than an actual genre, you can pretty much integrate it with any other existing genre by just making the main character come from another world without fundamentally actually changing the genre of the anime/manga. Its an easy modifier to add onto an existing story and helps to make world building easier by having an identifiable character from a context more familiar to the audience... its actually kind of amazing that it took this long for people to consider it its own sub-genre given how old the concept is.

In the grand scheme of things, isekai still isn't exactly "nearly all anime/manga", but these days its pretty hard to have a season go by without at least 2 to 3 isekai series running simultaneously. Being isekai also doesn't necessarily negate it from being original or having good world building, although it can decidedly be a crutch for bad writers if they couldn't frame a decent narrative to begin with. ^_~

User Info: YoyokuKO

YoyokuKO
1 week ago#4
isekai is popular because kids who grew up in the 80s-90s had video game escapism.
i blame you millennials.

User Info: Comyx

Comyx
1 week ago#5
I'd say "nearly all" is quite the exaggeration, honestly.
Out of the many Fall 2018 anime, are there really so many isekai ones outside of Slime and SAO Alicization? Giving the list a quick look, it doesn't seem that way.
PC / Switch / PS4 / 3DS

User Info: blasster

blasster
1 week ago#6
Comyx posted...
Out of the many Fall 2018 anime, are there really so many isekai ones outside of Slime and SAO Alicization? Giving the list a quick look, it doesn't seem that way.

Conception is isekai.

Now, I understand you rather not remember that anime exist.

But honestly, there are still far less isekai compared to straight up harem or cute girls shows.

And well, this season have JoJo at least, if you want pure straight up shounen for everybody.
Playing: Chain Chronicle [JP], Fire Emblem Heroes [F2P BTW]
Recommend me anime like Valvrave and Cross Ange pls.

User Info: Comyx

Comyx
1 week ago#7
blasster posted...
Comyx posted...

Conception is isekai.

But honestly, there are still far less isekai compared to straight up harem or cute girls shows.

And well, this season have JoJo at least, if you want pure straight up shounen for everybody.

It's not that I didn't remember it, I just never heard about it. Gave a quick look at the list of Fall 2018 anime and I must've missed that one. Is it terribad?
PC / Switch / PS4 / 3DS

User Info: Ultima_Weapon33

Ultima_Weapon33
1 week ago#8
Most anime have always been bad. This isn't new.
A true hero never wavers. My place is at the top.
Bring me a real challenge. CHA

User Info: Tivor

Tivor
1 week ago#9
Comyx posted...
blasster posted...
Comyx posted...

Conception is isekai.

It's not that I didn't remember it, I just never heard about it. Gave a quick look at the list of Fall 2018 anime and I must've missed that one. Is it terribad?

Conception is indeed terribad. I don't use that expression often because I think it's a stupid word, but that show deserves that stupid word.
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Abelardo Morell, Vik Muniz, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Depeche Mode, Tim Duncan, John Stockton. RESPECT.

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
1 week ago#10
YoyokuKO posted...
isekai is popular because kids who grew up in the 80s-90s had video game escapism.
i blame you millennials.

Isekai is popular because those types of stories have always been popular. People don't need to act like it's some new thing that just happened.
Common sense is just wisdom with its sleeves rolled up
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Am I the only one seeing how nearly all anime/manga are now recycled isekai's?
  • Topic Archived