This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This Japanese American actresses interview on Ghost in the Shell is a real eye..

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. This Japanese American actresses interview on Ghost in the Shell is a real eye..

User Info: Devilman_Amon

Devilman_Amon
1 year ago#1
opener on Asian American's opinions on Japan as well as the concept of "Japanese worshiping White people", "Japanese being "self-loathing" and "no wonder suicide rates are high in Japan" (by the way, these quotes are not my words, but what was actually said in the interview by them). This was responded to said actresses when they were told that many Japanese did not find the fact that Scarlett Johannsen being cast as Matoko Kusunagi in Ghost in the Shell was a bad thing; and neither did Ghost in the Shell anime director Mamoru Oshii (who in the past has said that he was heavily inspired by Western culture when making the anime designs)

Also, it brings to mind the whole idea of "Mukokuseki" abstract artistic design of Anime and if it truly IS Mukokuseki, or rather, as many people in the past have tried to state: that Japanese intentionally draw Anime characters to look like White people (because of reasons of said quotes above)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghost-shell-4-japanese-actresses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956
(\__/)
(='.'=)

User Info: UnfadingOnes

UnfadingOnes
1 year ago#2
Its certainly an interesting perspective, and speaking as an Asian I can say that what rings true for Japan is certainly true to a certain extent in my country as well...white skin is good, dark skin bad, we admire the West for their tech but not their loose morals etc. etc.

An interesting follow up to this article is
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/04/03/petition-to-boycott-netflix-adaption-of-death-note-reaches-japan-netizens-share-reactions-online/

In this article one comment caught my eye, that Japanese netizens said of course they would prefer that a Japanese actor played the roles---but if not, they preferred a white actor over Asian actors. In fact they mentioned that the main character of Speed Racer being played by a Korean (Rain) caused more controversy back in Japan. In that sense that we realize that there is no such thing as an 'Asian solidarity'--sort of like how we would prefer white people play our stories if we can't get natives. I do wonder how widespread it is though, and how it might affect the West.

For example, if an Indian couldn't play Gandhi in Hollywood, would India be more offended if they got a white guy, or a South/central Asian of Pakistani/Bangladeshi origin to play him?
I have made all the calculations; fate will do the rest.

User Info: HCE

HCE
1 year ago#3
"a no-holds barred conversation about cultural authenticity and why japanese nationals fail to understand the race controversy"

In other words

"An unabashed liberal propaganda piece where self-righteous Americans try to tell another country that its citizens are backwards and unenlightenened for not being offended at what their American intersectional feminism & assorted "theory" 100 college professors and/or other Americans vapidly parroting those professors told them is DEEPly offensive"
Three quarks for Muster Mark!

User Info: Devilman_Amon

Devilman_Amon
1 year ago#4
Interesting

Well I do know that the reason Doctor Steven Strange's mystical Tibetan teacher in the Dr Strange live action movie was not a Tibetan man like originally in the comics, but a British woman, was due to the movie being shown to China and as such, portraying a Tibetan man as a hero would have cause backlash there (weird I know but whatever) so to answer your question; yeah probably.
(\__/)
(='.'=)

User Info: FortePlus

FortePlus
1 year ago#5
HCE posted...
"An unabashed liberal propaganda piece where self-righteous Americans try to tell another country that its citizens are backwards and unenlightenened for not being offended at what their American intersectional feminism & assorted "theory" 100 college professors and/or other Americans vapidly parroting those professors told them is DEEPly offensive"

Pretty much. It's hilarious when this happens
Agena: That was the other cringe-worthy moment, when they called each other by their Japanese names. We’re looking at these beautiful white bodies saying these Japanese names, and it hurt my heart a little bit.

and just rolls over the intent of the article completely.

The article was a good read. I like how I was right about ScarJo being super white ruining the film's immersion.
[We, The North] - MUST DIE // I hope they get it; I'm tired of explaining history
BET makes my brain cry.~ Gnorry

User Info: Edgeknight

Edgeknight
1 year ago#6
The whole """"issue"""" really is a prime example of 'Murricans having not the slightest clue in regards to other cultures yet feeling obligated to be outraged on their behalf. The whole time it was an American issue - specifically of ~authenticity~. In this case people have become aware that their own culture boils down and removes all the significant meanings and 'exoticness' of others in their so-called melting pot so that it's less a blend of culture and more just a bunch of kitschy knock-off nonsense. 'Murricans still want things altered for their palettes (see phenomenons like "Japan is SO WEIRD" for examples of how these folks react to the most innocuous ((fake or genuine)) sorts of things that are too different from their norm), just in a way that makes it superficially feel more like the genuine aesthetically.

In this case asian (not even an Eleven specifically) actors in a heavily Hollybonered version of Ghost in the Shell.
"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." -matchulinch

User Info: Norse Mage121

Norse Mage121
1 year ago#7
There's nothing to suggest motoko's body is supposed to even be Japanese

She has wonder woman proportions ffs
I've even seen some people saying they whitewashed Batou. The dude is like as Caucasian 80's musclehero as you can get

Honestly who in section 9 is supposed to be japanese besides aramaki, togusa and the yakuza-looking guy? Saitou?
Norse: It's a Kind of Magic.
This post contains the sub-message [ **** knockin'. Let me in! ].

User Info: Melkac

Melkac
1 year ago#8
HCE posted...

Pretty much. America is so socially backwards for such a technologically advanced country.

Shame, it's almost a good place to live.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Melkaticox

User Info: Galbias

Galbias
1 year ago#9
I wonder if India has people who get mad over brownwashing in Bollywood versions of stuff.

User Info: Melkac

Melkac
1 year ago#10
Galbias posted...
I wonder if India has people who get mad over brownwashing in Bollywood versions of stuff.

I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Melkaticox
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. This Japanese American actresses interview on Ghost in the Shell is a real eye..

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived