This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. So why was the English version of CGI film Captain Harlock edited to be shorter?
Maximum Overdrive 5 years ago#1
I watched the film on Netflix and was following the story just fine until about halfway through the movie. Some things just didn't make any sense.

I then looked up the full plot online and noticed that they cut out some key scenes that would have made the ending half of the movie actually make sense.

I don't know how much shorter the English version is but I read on one of the threads here that it is shorter than the Japanese version.

Why would they cut these scenes out other than to simply make the movie shorter?
Resistance: Fall of Man username: [AM>]Shadow_Angel
MGO username: [PED] SHADOW ANGEL

User Info: EricDent1

EricDent1
5 years ago#2
They did it quite often with Godzilla movies back in the '60s.

I would assume that maybe the eventual DVD/Blu-Ray release woułd be uncut.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
FC: 3668-7961-6586 (Flying) IGN: Eric TSV: 3363
Maximum Overdrive 5 years ago#3
Yeah, I know plenty of movies are usually cut shorter for some reason or other. I never noticed that any scenes were cut from old Godzilla movie though. Maybe they still made sense even after scenes were taken out.

The scenes that they edited it out of Harlock: Space Pirate, however, would have tied many things together and made the movie a little more emotional . I just don't understand why they would make the movie so dumbed down.

I guess it's like you said. Maybe they'll release an uncut version just for extra money.

User Info: Orange of Doom

Orange of Doom
5 years ago#4
What scenes did they cut out for the English release, out of curiosity? If you can pinpoint any, that is.

I was kind of disappointed by the movie as it stood to begin with; had more been cut out, I couldn't even imagine.
Hey, look, I verbosely review stuff nobody even likes.
http://thelolilulelo.wordpress.com/ (Last Update 6/29/2014)
Maximum Overdrive 5 years ago#5
I list a couple but can't remember every scene:
SPOILERS

1. When Isola (Erza) is talking to Nami and Nami is angering him by saying that she never loved him and that she loves Yama (Logan), they cut out the part where he realizes too late that she was egging him on to pull the plug to her life support. She did this because she realized that it was her that causes him pain. As she fades away, she tells him that she loves him.

In the English version, he just pulls it out of anger and it cuts to him flying towards the Orpheus to meet with Yama. Makes him look like a complete d***.

2. Immediately after the scene mentioned above, when Isola gives the hologram to Yama saying that it was Nami's parting gift to him, apparently, in the Japanese version, there is a message of her confessing her love for Isola to Yama. Saddened by this revelation, this is the reason he decided to go to Earth. From what I remember, I was wondering, "why the Hell is he taking a stroll on destroyed Earth?"

Also, while it wasn't removed, they changed something that happened:

When the Arcadia used all of its dark matter to counter the Jovian Blast, it didn't move the Earth like the English version says, the Arcadia simply distorted the beam so that it missed the Earth. Why they would change this, I don't know.

There's a couple more but I don't remember them at the moment.
Maximum Overdrive 4 years ago#6
Bump
Maximum Overdrive 4 years ago#7
Anyone?

User Info: SupremeZero

SupremeZero
4 years ago#8
Too GARLOCK for america.
There's always hope for better things in life. But you can't let anything, friend, lover, God himself, be your hope. You have to be your own hope.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. So why was the English version of CGI film Captain Harlock edited to be shorter?
  • Topic Archived