This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. What does "canon" exactly mean when we talk about anime & manga?

User Info: spooky96

spooky96
8 years ago#1
I've heard this word loads of times but I never really knew what it means. Can anyone explain to me? A DBZ example would be very helpful too.
Why would you ask me that?

User Info: Undead587

Undead587
8 years ago#2
It means something actually happened in the original story and isn't filler.

For instance, if there's a beach episode in an anime and the manga didn't have a beach chapter and instead continued with the main story, the beach episode isn't canon. It's filler.

User Info: reptyle101

reptyle101
8 years ago#3
In terms of anime adaptions, people mostly use it to mean anime original content.

In DBZ, the part near the beginning where Goku fell off Snake Way and met the two ogres was filler, since it wasn't in the manga.

Accidentally read the topic as filler. Basically this is what filler is. If it did happen in the manga it's canon.
Of course you 'canon filler' as well, which means chapters/arcs that did happen in the original story but serve no purpose aside from padding and could be skipped entirely without missing anything.
Chase the morning
Yield for nothing.

User Info: pokedude900

pokedude900
8 years ago#4
reptyle101 posted...
In terms of anime adaptions, people mostly use it means anime original content.

No. It's the exact opposite. <_<

Canon is anything that actually happened in the original story, and not an adaptation. Or anything officially stated by the creator(s) through some other means.

Basically, it's what actually counts when having a discussion of the story or characters.
http://i.imgur.com/rbBq9.jpg
Come to the board in my quote for math discussion and pretty much anything else.

User Info: The_Bones

The_Bones
8 years ago#5
It just means its part of the original story. The DBZ movies for example are not canon as they don't really tie in with the original story.
"Canon" in fictional stories typically refers to material related to the story that is considered "official", either by the story creator(s) or the audience. The flipside is something being non-canon: this happens when something is created for a series that ends up being not official. For instance, in one episode of DBZ, Goku learns how to drive. This doesn't happen in the manga, though, so it could theoretically be possible that some point later in the manga, it becomes a plot point that Goku can't drive. This is resolved when we realize that the episode is non-canon: Toriyama (likely) had no input on the creation of the episode, (likely) had little idea of its existence, and (likely) paid no mind to it when creating the rest of his story, so it's not a real part of the story. It's non-canon.
"The world is a sphere. That means that the east is connected to the west, and the north is connected to the south." ~Enrique, Skies of Arcadia

User Info: spooky96

spooky96
8 years ago#7
Ah so that's it. Thanks a lot! Finally understood what it means.
Why would you ask me that?

User Info: Haohmaru_Windy

Haohmaru_Windy
8 years ago#8
What happened in the true story and unedited.
Toonami is entering...The Samurai Zone
"Cheers to you lot"

User Info: Village Idiot

Village Idiot
8 years ago#9
An interesting example of this is the To Aru series, mainly due to having numerous adaptations, but with the author directly working on all of it.

Its a light novel series, but have spawned numerous adaptions (anime, manga, and even a spin-off based on one of the main female protagonists).

The light novels is considered prime canon, where any contradictions in the anime/manga is overridden.

However, any "filler" or new material added in the anime/manga that doesn't contradict the light novels is considered canon.

Two examples:

1) In the light novels, Touma stopped calling Mikoto "BiriBiri" after volume 1, but the anime and Railgun manga still had Touma call her this. Due to this contradiction, the light novels overrides the anime/manga since Touma doesn't call her BiriBiri anymore.

2) The Railgun anime filler arcs is considered canon, but since the Railgun manga came first, any contradictions made in the anime is overridden by the manga, and any contradictions to the original light novel is overridden as well. An example of this is Saten being in ep1 and the reason why Mikoto decided to get involved being different than the manga. The events of the manga overrides the contradiction in the anime.
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude

User Info: HCE

HCE
8 years ago#10
It means whoever talks about it is shot out of a cannon into the sun.
I am the light of the universe.
Go.D.S.E.E.D.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. What does "canon" exactly mean when we talk about anime & manga?
  • Topic Archived