This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball - General
  3. Beerus > All Mortals Once again proving character statements don't matter

User Info: DysonSlinky

DysonSlinky
2 months ago#21
UIZeno posted...
This show isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's an action manga meant for kids. The fact that you're trying to discredit character statements to make the show make sense means you're tryna take it seriously.

You forget without those statements, you lose out on the narrative the show is tryna push forward, thus nothing will make sense. There are things that don't make sense, like saiyans getting stronger during a mere battle and saiyans having no limits when they couldn't even surpass Cui in the past. It doesn't make sense but that's what the narrative is tryna push. I don't like it, but I've gotta accept it if I'm gonna continue reading this manga.

It's one thing if the reader isn't meant to take it seriously. It's another if the narrative itself doesn't take itself seriously. Both DBS and its manga keep trying to explain things and attempt to hold together a story and a narrative. How are you, the reader, supposed to not take something seriously if the narrative itself is trying to be serious? (Vice-versa also applies) If you're trying to take something seriously/not seriously, then the narrative is usually also trying to do the same thing. They are not mutually exclusive and go hand-in-hand with each other.

Let's compare this with DB Heroes really quick. DB Heroes blatantly does not take itself seriously and is obviously meant to be a fanservicey short animation to advertise the card game. You have SSJB Vegito or SSJ4 Vegito going up against an enemy and doing really well, then performing worse than an individual character or against the same enemy that power downs. You have base forms outperforming god forms or have old villains like Turles or Bojack suddenly able to contest with modern DB with no explanation constantly, and yet, this is perfectly fine. Why? Because it's clear you're meant to enjoy it for s***s and giggles because it also gives no f***s about its narrative because there is no narrative.

What about Super? It keeps trying to hold some form of powerscaling. It tries to tell a coherent story. It flat out is taking itself seriously, it's just doing a really really bad job at it. This is why Super is so bad. It keeps making these critical errors at every ebb and flow while attempting to tell you a poorly crafted narrative. If it just threw everything into the wind and just stopped trying to do these things, it could be like Heroes and you could just sit down and enjoy it, but it isn't. There is no logistic reason within the narrative given that SSJB Vegeta would do better than or even match Goku under Ultra Instinct so when it happens, it makes no damn sense and any and all explanations given only further the divide.
PSN: DysonSlinky (will not accept blank friend requests)
DFFOO: Slinky - 353614568 || Opera Omnia discord link: https://discord.gg/U8kKbsv

User Info: lmao2

lmao2
2 months ago#22
Djyc21215 posted...
If somebody has a long history of lying to you and telling you false statements would you "Contextualized" what they are saying, or disregard everything they say as false until proven otherwise?
Yes I would "contextualized" it. You're treating all statements equally when its not that simple. The validity and meanings of statements are dependent on several factors (character knowledge, situation, source etc)

And some statements clearly get retconned (i.e how much power Beerus used against Goku)

User Info: yakashamonian

yakashamonian
2 months ago#23
I mean would you be surprised if it eventually gets mention Beerus had been training.

Goku was literally surprised by Vegeta having a form that Beerus taught him when they literally trained next too each other.

And Freeza improved his strength to the point of CSSB level. Without moving.

It wouldn't surprise me if eventually Beerus will mention he had been training.

Hell he might even jump up in power just dodging Vegeta around.
discord wazuki#0831 B.net Wazuki1694

User Info: AnonDB

AnonDB
2 months ago#24
Graycap posted...
I don't know why people are arguing with you about this. It's 100% fact that the Vegeto and Broly statements were completely inaccurate, and therfore there was no reason for the authors to write them in beyond intentionally misleading the reader. Lying is dumb and shouldn't be defended.
Both these vague statements that you put so much stock in were plainly debunked.

Vegerot:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/9/3/9/AAe5-IAACH-L.png

Broly:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/2/8/6/AAe5-IAACIDm.jpg

User Info: ViewtifulGrave

ViewtifulGrave
2 months ago#25
UIZeno posted...
Retcons f***ing exist. If you noticed them, do you expect them to align with previous showings?
It’s not even a retcon. Shin is a very unreliable source and Goku wasn’t sure, plus he admitted that he can’t even sense Beerus’s ki.
When Kaidou fails to keep up with Luffy in their next fight remember this conversation - MrDrMan

User Info: SSJPurple

SSJPurple
2 months ago#26
Character statements matter

Until they don’t.

If Beerus says he can blow the sun out like a candle there is no reason to not believe him until that statement is contradicted/proven false.
Long Term Effects of Suffering
#G59

User Info: the0rebirth

the0rebirth
2 months ago#27
SSJPurple posted...
Character statements matter

Until they don’t.

If Beerus says he can blow the sun out like a candle there is no reason to not believe him until that statement is contradicted/proven false.

It really, truly is this simple. This is fiction, folks.

"The Dragon Ball Super anime is lowering the IQ of the characters so the DB fan base can relate to them better." -Acharyap28

User Info: Djyc21215

Djyc21215
2 months ago#28
Graycap posted...
Well Belmod played dead in the GoD battle, so it's possible he was hiding his powers the whole time. Otherwise yeah it's a plothole.

I don't know why people are arguing with you about this. It's 100% fact that the Vegeto and Broly statements were completely inaccurate, and therfore there was no reason for the authors to write them in beyond intentionally misleading the reader. Lying is dumb and shouldn't be defended.

They defend lies because they are liars themselves. Hence why they are arguing with me.

If somebody lies to me even ONCE and I catch them, I never trust a single thing they say to me ever again cause that would be stupid.

But with these people they allow people to lie to them over and over and over again because they do it themselves so dont see why it's a big deal.

User Info: superman 2000

superman 2000
2 months ago#29
Djyc21215 posted...
They defend lies because they are liars themselves. Hence why they are arguing with me.

If somebody lies to me even ONCE and I catch them, I never trust a single thing they say to me ever again cause that would be stupid.

But with these people they allow people to lie to them over and over and over again because they do it themselves so dont see why it's a big deal.

It’s fiction. None of it is “true”.
I don't hold grudges. Let's vehemently argue today and casually have a beer together tomorrow.

User Info: Djyc21215

Djyc21215
2 months ago#30
superman 2000 posted...
It’s fiction. None of it is “true”.

Even in fiction, to state something, intentionally, that is not true is a lie.

1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball - General
  3. Beerus > All Mortals Once again proving character statements don't matter
  • Topic Archived