This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball - General
  3. The only sensible reason why Gohan would have been ditched as the main character

User Info: TwigsthePnoDude

TwigsthePnoDude
1 month ago#1
Money
Manga sales start dipping, bring Goku back in as the main character. Vegeta is popular? Bring him back too. Oh no, set it up so that Vegeta is useless? Invent a new fusion method for Goku and Vegeta to combine. Oh, we've already totally forgotten about Gohan? Oh well, Onward!

It wasnt a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover. ~ Donald Draper

User Info: UndefeatedGOAT

UndefeatedGOAT
1 month ago#2
Sure yeah

Also its a shonen

User Info: Simplexible

Simplexible
1 month ago#3
That's one way of looking at it, but that raises the question of why Goku was considered profitable and interesting, while Gohan wasn't.

User Info: Trickfinger

Trickfinger
1 month ago#4
He was never fit to replace goku.
I survived reading guys like you

User Info: AnonDB

AnonDB
1 month ago#5
Trickfinger posted...
He was never fit to replace goku.
Yup.

User Info: Jadeite_McSwag

Jadeite_McSwag
1 month ago#6
He was just too weak

User Info: Scotty_Rogers

Scotty_Rogers
1 month ago#7
Gohan was the most popular character at the time of the Cell Games, so it made sense for him to take over. But every decision Toriyama made in the Boo arc was wrong.
GameFAQs is my life, fam.

User Info: TwigsthePnoDude

TwigsthePnoDude
1 month ago#8
Simplexible posted...
That's one way of looking at it, but that raises the question of why Goku was considered profitable and interesting, while Gohan wasn't.

Because AT's writing in Buu saga was really bad and Gohan's character arc wasn't compelling as a result?

It wasnt a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover. ~ Donald Draper

User Info: SSJGPiccles

SSJGPiccles
1 month ago#9
Simplexible posted...
Well, I'd imagine it has something to do with Goku already being an established and proven money maker.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that.
Prepare to have your Scales Tipped!
Official Robin of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate board

User Info: mehmeh1

mehmeh1
1 month ago#10
didn't Toriyama pretty much have total creative freedom by the Buu arc? (for better or for worse)
FC: 3840-6927-7945, have OR/Y/SM4SH/PSMD/S/US I'm a youtuber, here is my link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRj1lj8EWzRtw3jp3HUXCxQ? .I play games
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball - General
  3. The only sensible reason why Gohan would have been ditched as the main character
  • Topic Archived