This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball - General
  3. This board really needs to discern the difference between writing that is bad

User Info: Y2J_0s_HBK

Y2J_0s_HBK
9 months ago#101
ZeroBeatt posted...
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...
ZeroBeatt posted...
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...
ZeroBeatt posted...
I think I'm doing just a fine job of discerning what parts of DBS is written poorly and what parts I just dislike. But don't you think it's a little dishonest to claim it's not written badly at all and that we just don't like it? That sounds so condescending imo.

I've already said nothing is perfect. Even war and peace has bad moments. It's just that the good vastly overshadows the bad

Disagreed there tbh...

And I'm perfectly ok with disagreeing opinions

Fair enough. As long as people leave there elitism at the door. That's something some individuals still need to work on sadly.

Exactly!

User Info: superman 2000

superman 2000
9 months ago#102
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...

Imagine thinking this is a proper rebuttal. Pro tip, in debate, you are literally using a fallacy. Good work!

Do you want me to go into detail on why Super's story is a mess?
I mock all DBZ characters equally.

User Info: sunmoonshine

sunmoonshine
9 months ago#103
DBZ is a show about people punching each other and shooting energy beams, that it attracts a fanbase of brainlets that can't articulate their points isn't surprising.

Y2J_0s_HBK
9 months ago#104
superman 2000 posted...
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...

Imagine thinking this is a proper rebuttal. Pro tip, in debate, you are literally using a fallacy. Good work!

Only if you can be objective

User Info: Payback85

Payback85
9 months ago#105
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...
superman 2000 posted...
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...

Only if you can be objective

And who determines what "objective" is? You? What makes your s*** opinion better than his?

Also, I like how even the baby-ish defenders of this show - people who are sad that other people don't like the same things you do - can't do any better than say "well you can't say the writing for Super is bad, because the writing for DBZ was bad, too."

That's your defense? The writing isn't bad because... the writing was always bad? What kind of sense does that make?
Something about a Plague of Stars...

Y2J_0s_HBK
9 months ago#106
Objective things are things that are uncharacteristic or loop holes.

Subjective is just you not liking things like the spirit sword.

Not a hard difference to comprehend

User Info: superman 2000

superman 2000
9 months ago#107
Y2J_0s_HBK posted...
Objective things are things that are uncharacteristic or loop holes.

Subjective is just you not liking things like the spirit sword.

What an ironic thing to say, considering the spirit sword is a prime example of bad writing. It came out of nowhere, was powered by insufficient energy, and did more damage to an opponent than someone immensely stronger.

In order for this to be an at all productive discussion of the show's writing, we must first agree on the premise of what constitutes as bad writing in the first place. I think it's fair to say that bad writing should generally include the following: flat characterization, plot-induced stupidity (or otherwise inconsistent behavior, especially to conveniently push the plot in a certain direction), contrivances (such as deus ex machinas), plot holes, poor build-up, clumsy exposition, changing the rules of the series on a whim (ex: potara is permanent, but actually it isn't), and lack of emotional resonance (do the characters act like they care as much as they should? do their attitudes coincide with the stakes?).

Would you agree that all of these constitute as elements of bad writing?
I mock all DBZ characters equally.

Y2J_0s_HBK
9 months ago#108
I agree with most of it and I've even mentioned the potara rule as an example of one of their bad writing. I will say that emotional resonance isn't particularly fair at least in regards to fighters such as vegeta. I mean he cares but his character is to not show those emotions for the most part. And maybe clumsy exposition might be subjective in the adjective of clumsy.

I think a lot of the spirit sword debate ignores the fact that zamasu was basically destroyed already. His fatigue explains everything. He was even half purple goo lol
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball - General
  3. This board really needs to discern the difference between writing that is bad
  • Topic Archived