• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. WHEN do you review games??
Immediately after finishing them? Or do you let the experience "marinade" for a week or two first? Maybe at a designated time -- Saturday night, for instance?

I find that I'm all over the place, but the ones I write immediately after finishing tend to turn out better. It's scary how rapidly my memory degrades ("What'd the music sound like again?? Better check a YouTube longplay").

Whatever the case, I'd have an easier go of things if I was allowed to save and edit reviews.

User Info: RJHarrison

RJHarrison
1 year ago#2
Usually as soon as I can after beating a game (though sometimes before, if the game is of low quality and I no longer have the motivation to finish it – The Terminator on NES or DOOM (SNES version) being a couple of particular examples). I’ll maybe stick a longplay video on while typing it up, which usually helps me to remember some key points about the gameplay.

These days, I usually leave my gaming and writing to weekends, but I do still crank out the odd review on a weekday evening if I have the energy.
Ryan Harrison | CRP #22792
Be Just and Fear Not

User Info: 16-BITTER

16-BITTER
1 year ago#3
ImperialScrolls posted...
("What'd the music sound like again?? Better check a YouTube longplay").
Lol, I do this too.

As I'm playing the game, I'm usually taking mental "review notes" that I should probably be writing down, since I don't tend to review the games right away. Sometimes I do: many of my "quick" reviews were probably done within an hour of me putting the game down.

But more often than not I'll have trouble motivating myself to start. I bet most are still done within a month, though some sit around half done for longer and some of those half written ones I end up tossing out altogether.
10/429

User Info: bouchart

bouchart
1 year ago#4
Usually within a week or two of completing them. Recently I just wrote up a review of Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi and I finished playing it last July. Sometimes I don't have the willpower to sit down and write.
You can't stop Bouchart.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 year ago#5
I tend to start putting my basic unstructured thoughts as a play, then once I've done I scrap thoughts that were obsolete by the end and attempt to restructure it into something with some flow and pacing. My stuff is generally pretty long and "in depth" so an after the fact retrospective doesn't really work for it. My last one is the first time I've done that in like, 6 years. Mainly because I never intended to review it until my last session where I decided I needed a rant.

That post completion single session is how I used to write but I find the stream of consciousness structure of that really tedious and repetitive, and I was always forgetting to cover s*** I should have because I didn't think about it on the day.

User Info: TKDBoy1889

TKDBoy1889
1 year ago#6
Great_Khan posted...
I tend to start putting my basic unstructured thoughts as a play, then once I've done I scrap thoughts that were obsolete by the end and attempt to restructure it into something with some flow and pacing. My stuff is generally pretty long and "in depth" so an after the fact retrospective doesn't really work for it. My last one is the first time I've done that in like, 6 years. Mainly because I never intended to review it until my last session where I decided I needed a rant.

That post completion single session is how I used to write but I find the stream of consciousness structure of that really tedious and repetitive, and I was always forgetting to cover s*** I should have because I didn't think about it on the day.
My approach is similar nowadays. Once I'm properly deep into a game and seen enough to get a feel for it I start writing. As I keep playing I discard stuff that doesn't feel important and then fine-tune the details on other sections. I can only do retrospective reviews if it's a game I used to play religiously to the point that it's burned into my memory. Plus, sometimes I just get that writing inspiration and I need to write it down when it happens.

I think if anything I need to cut down a bit on some of my reviews more once I do the initial draft. I like to get detailed but sometimes I look back and go "Why did I write an entire section about this?"

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 year ago#7
TKDBoy1889 posted...
I think if anything I need to cut down a bit on some of my reviews more once I do the initial draft. I like to get detailed but sometimes I look back and go "Why did I write an entire section about this?"
Haha yeah, re-reading my old stuff is an endless torrent of "YOU ALREADY SAID THAT" yelling at myself, along with the "that could have been a line spliced into a point being made three segments ago, not another whole paragraph" stuff you're talking about.

My more modern reviews are still hefty, usually clocking in at around 2-3000 words (the one I'm working on is sitting at 2540 as I speak), but they used to be routinely over 6 or 7 thousand. Hell, my Dark Souls 2 one broke the length cap. Regrettable times, regrettable times.

User Info: samuraigaiden

samuraigaiden
10 months ago#8
I definitely think reviews come out best if I wait a week or two before writing them.
Samsara is the wheel of life, death, and reincarnation, but also the notion that you will fall into the same patterns again and again throughout life

User Info: Rin-Coconut

Rin-Coconut
10 months ago#9
I tend to have games review ready in the late afternoon or night. It takes me hours to write a review so I just wait until the next morning and get it written then. I find it best to review games shortly after they're review ready or I'll forget small details that I wanted to mention. If I wait too long I often have to replay the game, or at least explore my save files to jog my memory.

User Info: 16-BITTER

16-BITTER
10 months ago#10
Rin-Coconut posted...
I find it best to review games shortly after they're review ready or I'll forget small details that I wanted to mention.
Definitely this, I really should start keeping a notepad around for this, haha
10/429
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. WHEN do you review games??
  • Post New Message