• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. ~*~The 2020 Great Review Challenge Extravaganza~*~

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
2 months ago#31
16-BITTER posted...
If it helps, game reviews are more valuable to the reader than music reviews.
While I do like the satisfaction the comes from the votes/ROTM stuff, and yeah, there's a level of specificity and clarity that gaming has that music doesn't which I do like, but I really don't care about providing a service to readers haha. "You should/n't buy this" is never the angle I take, it's much more for my own self satisfaction. It's been a while since I've played something and gone "I don't really know why I feel this way" about it, and that's been a fun part of it.

User Info: ImperialScrolls

ImperialScrolls
2 months ago#32
Khan, you tackle games that are hard to review..... or at least they're games I'd have a hard time reviewing. Big AAA cinematic type experiences. Games that "the critics" have picked apart and games "everyone" has opinions about. I, personally, would feel pressured to "compete" with all the existing written content, and would burn out fast and hard.

Thankfully(?), such games aren't my style anyway. I review Atari games where you move a cat across the screen trying to avoid a dog.

User Info: 16-BITTER

16-BITTER
2 months ago#33
^And Famicom games I don't have the patience to try and futz around to learn
The folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most.

16-BITTER
2 months ago#34
Great_Khan posted...
It's been a while since I've played something and gone "I don't really know why I feel this way" about it, and that's been a fun part of it.
The only other things I can suggest on this front is perhaps to try something outside your usual wheelhouse, maybe a different era or genre than you're familiar with, and see if that doesn't spark a renewed interest. It also helps to have some kind of overarching goal or structure: if you're just going to review random games from your collection, you're less likely to keep up the pace for as long as if you approach it methodically.

I mean, if you gotta take a break you gotta do it, I've been there too, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least try to offer some encouragement beforehand.

Great_Khan
2 months ago#35
ImperialScrolls posted...
Thankfully(?), such games aren't my style anyway. I review Atari games where you move a cat across the screen trying to avoid a dog.
Haha I'm the exact opposite. I need something "significant" so I've got something to talk about, too much simplicity leaves me completely stumped for what to say beyond dryly listing things that happen.

16-BITTER posted...
The only other things I can suggest on this front is perhaps to try something outside your usual wheelhouse, maybe a different era or genre than you're familiar with, and see if that doesn't spark a renewed interest. It also helps to have some kind of overarching goal or structure: if you're just going to review random games from your collection, you're less likely to keep up the pace for as long as if you approach it methodically.

I've more or less got a "review every game I ever beat except for old ones" policy in place, thinking I might tone it down to ones I've got a specific driving talking point I want to discuss for only so it never gets too workmanlike. I have some over arching goals for gaming this year (ie play through the DMC series for the first time), I guess I could consider merging that with writing.

Almost all of my "in progress" games are mediocre slogs so maybe HR was just the unlucky culmination of a lot of underwhelming stuff. It is always tough to cover story heavy games on a site with a no-spoiler rule since you're not allowed to discuss specific events which stand out.

Currently thinking I will do the Doom one with a change in approach, which has so far been more fun to write but far shallower. It's basically all hot take with the more standard review stuff shallowly filtered through rather than highlighted and focused on. Just need to finish the damn game haha.

16-BITTER
2 months ago#36
33. Review a game you'd dropped or had a long hold on - Hexen

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/197554-hexen-beyond-heretic/reviews/170135

Possibly controversial review of this one. I beat it years ago but gave it another runthrough recently to try and gain a new appreciation of it. I did not.

Also briefly covered its expansion pack, but it doesn't qualify for another entry.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/574830-deathkings-of-the-dark-citadel/reviews/170141

35. Review a game that took you at least fifty hours to beat - DOOM Collector's Edition

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/924560-doom-collectors-edition/reviews/170142

Quickie summation of the mainline DOOM games I've already covered. I don't know if it took me 50 hours to beat all three games the first time (it probably did, given how tough Final DOOM is), but I wouldn't doubt that I've spent 1000 hours with it over the years thanks to all the custom maps.

1, 2, 7, 9, 13, 23, 30, 31, 33, 35, 36, 41, 44, 45, 46

15/50

16-BITTER
2 months ago#37
Great_Khan posted...
Almost all of my "in progress" games are mediocre slogs so maybe HR was just the unlucky culmination of a lot of underwhelming stuff.
For a while I found it amusing to review bad games; additionally, it was much easier for me to point out the various things they did poorly and suggest how they might have been improved than to sufficiently praise the things a great game did well and elaborate on why those things were good.

While this was productive from a writing perspective, it was worse from a playing perspective and I eventually couldn't stand to do it anymore. I had a grand finale planned but I really didn't even want to play those games anymore, much less write about them!

I'm guessing you haven't been intentionally trying to play mediocre games though, lol

Great_Khan
2 months ago#38
Haha no, just a selection of games I was keen on trying which have underwhelmed. Admittedly in the "not amazingly well received" tier like Sniper Elite and Last Guardian and so on, but I was keen personally. Actively seeking out bad music was fun and easy because it only took up an hour of your day, with games being so long I don't start anything without the hope of it blowing me away.

User Info: Suprak the Stud

Suprak the Stud
1 month ago#39
27. Review a game with a child lead: Mutant Mudds: Super Challenge
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/vita/193340-mutant-mudds-super-challenge/reviews/170138
Score: 4.00/10.00

I have a hard time getting particularly worked up about this one, one way or another. It is just such a nothing game. This one is at least slightly better than the first Mutant Mudds title because they figured out a way to prevent you from skipping half of most the levels by actually forcing you to collect all the coins. The biggest problem is this formula here just isn't all that fun. It is too basic to be appreciated by genre fans and too tough to be appreciated by novices. There is just no unique hook here and it feels like any generic platformer in the past three decades. It is functional though, so if you are absolutely desperate for a platformer, this is that at least.

Summary Quote: Anyone who has played the first game will be able to get right into this one, because this is exactly the same game. And I don’t mean that it is similar or follow the same sort of basic ideas or maybe uses some of the same gameplay elements while building off of them to do its own thing. No, I mean this is the same game wearing a fake mustache and a wig it bought from the party store and hoping you don’t take legal action after it tricks you for buying the same game twice. You could take the levels in the first game, mix them with the levels in this game and randomly distribute them between the two and absolutely no one would have any idea anything was changed.

Finished: 6/50
Categories Finished: 17, 27, 29, 31, 42, 46
Moops?
"I thought you were making up diseases? That's spontaneous dental hydroplosion."

User Info: Suprak the Stud

Suprak the Stud
1 month ago#40
50. Review a game that you played with another person participating for some time: The Playroom VR
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/191718-the-playroom-vr/reviews/170137
Score: 4.50/10.00

What is here actually isn't all that bad, but there just isn't very much of it. The base game comes with five mini-games. The competitive ones are kind of boring, and while the other three are fairly fun they don't have much staying power. I would've loved if this was more of a Warioware style game with VR elements, but this isn't that. This is just a handful of games they slapped together to throw in as a freebie with your VR headset. It isn't bad, but it also isn't good. Still, I had fun with a little while playing with family members and friends as a way to show off my new toy, so there's that at least!

Summary Quote: There is a way to make a good game and a good tech demo, but this isn’t that. This is Sony telling you, “ok, see all the cool stuff VR can do? Now go buy a real game” before kicking you out the door and telling you to come back when you got money.

Finished: 7/50
Categories Finished: 17, 27, 29, 31, 42, 46, 50
Moops?
"I thought you were making up diseases? That's spontaneous dental hydroplosion."
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. ~*~The 2020 Great Review Challenge Extravaganza~*~
  • Post New Message