• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. Why YOUR review was rejected, and how to FIX it!
Personally, I don't think any review should be rejected on the basis of spoilers, as long as the reviewer warns that there are spoilers ahead.

In any event, this "rule" only seems to apply to AAA launch titles and the like. I've surely "spoiled" some things in my reviews, but we're talkin' 30 year old Famicom carts here.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 year ago#372
BarbaricAvatar posted...
Pretty much anything relating to story-progression or the way characters develop is a spoiler. Also talking about weapons/items that aren't available from the start of the game could be construed as such too as you're spoiling the surprise for people who haven't played the game; likewise other unlockables.

They're (usually) not anywhere near that strict, which is what makes figuring out "the line" so tough. As far as unlockables go I've never had any trouble and in images in particular I grab from anywhere. Hell my Mario + Rabbids one has a screenshot from the ending cinematic. As for stuff in the game I've namedropped endgame weapon types and spells without consequence.

As far as the story stuff goes, it's more grey. Sure the guidelines say "nothing that isn't on the box", but outside of one or two cases I've broken that guideline without issue. In my Dragon's Dogma one I basically spoil the structure of the story by straight up saying it goes on post-credits and that nothing happens before them, and I also allude pretty strongly to what the lore structure involves, which is a late game revelation. Similarly my Edith Finch review is almost entirely story and directly explains themes and character roles.

So yeah, what constitutes "too spoilery" can be a bit hard to gauge, hell it may vary between which mod is signing off on it.

I guess I rarely discuss the step by step of "what happens" and instead focus on narrative structure, pacing and themes when I do cover story, so maybe they're extra touchy on plot points in particular. I suppose my Until Dawn thing did discuss the big twist because it's so important and cleverly handled, albeit focused on it's role in structure and solid setup rather than saying what it is.

(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: TKDBoy1889

TKDBoy1889
1 year ago#373
Great_Khan posted...
They're (usually) not anywhere near that strict, which is what makes figuring out "the line" so tough. As far as unlockables go I've never had any trouble and in images in particular I grab from anywhere. Hell my Mario + Rabbids one has a screenshot from the ending cinematic. As for stuff in the game I've namedropped endgame weapon types and spells without consequence.

As far as the story stuff goes, it's more grey. Sure the guidelines say "nothing that isn't on the box", but outside of one or two cases I've broken that guideline without issue. In my Dragon's Dogma one I basically spoil the structure of the story by straight up saying it goes on post-credits and that nothing happens before them, and I also allude pretty strongly to what the lore structure involves, which is a late game revelation. Similarly my Edith Finch review is almost entirely story and directly explains themes and character roles.

So yeah, what constitutes "too spoilery" can be a bit hard to gauge, hell it may vary between which mod is signing off on it.

I guess I rarely discuss the step by step of "what happens" and instead focus on narrative structure, pacing and themes when I do cover story, so maybe they're extra touchy on plot points in particular. I suppose my Until Dawn thing did discuss the big twist because it's so important and cleverly handled, albeit focused on it's role in structure and solid setup rather than saying what it is.
That may be why I've never been flagged for spoilers even though I can dedicate entire sections to the story if it's a narrative-focused game. I also tend to focus on narrative structure and themes, sometimes even character progression. I guess there's an art and a method to discussing story without actually... discussing story. Lol
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. Why YOUR review was rejected, and how to FIX it!
  • Post New Message