You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. Overused phrases that you should avoid
(message deleted)

User Info: Galahad5

Galahad5
3 years ago#372
Lol great read
9/10/2005 - 7/21/2010

User Info: bouchart

bouchart
3 years ago#373
I've caught myself using a handful of filler words in the past several reviews I've written.

-Really
-Especially
-Generally
-Particularly
-Typically
You can't stop Bouchart.

User Info: CrazyJake816

CrazyJake816
2 years ago#374
Whew.. this board was posted 11 years ago. Man does time fly and also thanks SBAllen, I've been looking to write reviews and have had trouble with how I am writing them and this really helps.
"With the birds I share this lonely view"- Scar Tissue, Red Hot Chili Peppers

User Info: KeyBlade999

KeyBlade999
2 years ago#375
bouchart posted...
I've caught myself using a handful of filler words in the past several reviews I've written.

-Really
-Especially
-Generally
-Particularly
-Typically

I'd argue that they can be okay to use, but only in moderation. Not that I'm any less guilty of such poor diction myself, but still.
''I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.'' - Mewtwo
SBAllen posted...

1) "And now, on to the review."

Well, I'm guilty of this for at least one of the few reviews I posted.

Better late than never to read this.
"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."
Thanks for this list, it really helps.
Don't get mad, get gllad. 3DS FC: 0602-6357-6814
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/404951/chocula_medium.jpg
bouchart posted...

-Really
-Especially
-Generally
-Particularly
-Typically

I've become cognizant of how often I use the word "here"...

"The controls here are fairly fluent."
"Characters here possess varied abilities."
"Here we have an impressive JRPG."

And so on. Every time I write a review I delete about 3-5 "here's" during the editing process.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
2 months ago#379
I naturally use "just" way too much. As in "The camera control is just awful" or "the bit where his eyes turn into wangs is just mesmerizing". Catching these in editing has reduced my first drafts by a solid 80 words per review.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - Reviews
  3. Overused phrases that you should avoid