• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. Wrote my first guide. Can I get some advice on formatting and images?

User Info: InfernoSD

InfernoSD
1 month ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/226260-spelunky-2/faqs/78666

Any critique welcome, but what I'd really like to do is figure out the best way to include images before I put too much more time in it. Right now it's a sort of happy compromise between the PC and mobile version, but I'd like it to be happier.

All the images are right-aligned and equal in width. I had to put them all on the same row in groups, so they're side-by-side. If I try to put them exactly where the relevant text is, I end up with them side-by-side and vertically offset, unless I make them huge. Another consequence of them being side-by-side is that they display right-to-left, so they're in the wrong order. On mobile they take up over half the screen but at least they show in the right order. Any bigger and they would force the text to a separate line.

What do you think? Look okay, or is there a better way to do it? I think my ideal would have been to have some way of splitting the screen 50/50, with the right side of the screen loaded with images all the way down. I could put together more than enough useful images for that to work, and I could set all the images to be lined up with appropriate text. But I suppose it would look completely different on mobile and desktop.

Side note, can animated gifs work at all in ffaqs? I tried one but it wouldn't play. There are a lot of techniques and tricks that could be demonstrated with an animation. I am instead putting two pictures together to illustrate the same point.

User Info: threetimes

threetimes
1 month ago#2
I don't have any useful advice about the images, but congratulations on writing your first guide. It looks good given the game seems very complex to write for. You could make an animated image, upload that to GameFAQs and link it in the FAQ or include a video link.
The bells haven't stopped ringing yet.

InfernoSD
1 month ago#3
Thanks. A roguelike is an interesting subject matter to write for. Hopefully what I put down so far is all useful strategy and not simply an encyclopedia.

I'm going to try to avoid links in the guide if I can, for ease of use, but I might have to add videos later on for more complicated bits.

User Info: ZeoKnight

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#4
Great job on your first guide! We expect many more to come.

InfernoSD posted...

All the images are right-aligned and equal in width. I had to put them all on the same row in groups, so they're side-by-side. If I try to put them exactly where the relevant text is, I end up with them side-by-side and vertically offset, unless I make them huge. Another consequence of them being side-by-side is that they display right-to-left, so they're in the wrong order. On mobile they take up over half the screen but at least they show in the right order. Any bigger and they would force the text to a separate line.

Have you tried right-aligned table? Since your images are on the same size, putting them separately on each cell looks fine. Plus, you can add a bit information below each image so the readers understand what images explain what points.

First FOTM won 05/26/2017, FOTM wins/attempts: 4/5, first ROTM won 01/06/2018, ROTM wins/attempts: 1/5
First COTM won 08/10/2018, COTM wins: 3

User Info: _0blivion_

_0blivion_
1 month ago#5
there's not much room for improvement, but since you asked..
  1. why is the first heading Spelunky 2 Walkthrough? would make more sense to be called Introduction or About
  2. what's with the -dashes- on the logo at the top? i thought my screen had dirt on it
  3. why do World 3, 5 and 6 have no name but others do?

I would recommend changing your email@whatever.com to email at whatever.com or spambots will find it.
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

User Info: Warhawk

Warhawk
1 month ago#6
Taking a look at it as I can offer a couple of things with like the table of contents and whatnot.

-Make "Spelunky 2 Walkthrough" and rename as like "Introduction" or "Foreword"
-Put "how to play" in the first section in it's own section as a "basics" section for the TOC
-For each of the "worlds" have put in "Walkthrough" section for the TOC and place each world for a subsection for the "walkthrough"
FAQs: 55 | FOTM: 9
https://facebook.com/WarhawkFAQs | https://twitter.com/WarhawkFAQs

InfernoSD
1 month ago#7
ZeoKnight posted...
Have you tried right-aligned table? Since your images are on the same size, putting them separately on each cell looks fine. Plus, you can add a bit information below each image so the readers understand what images explain what points.
I did try that but didn't quite like how it turned out. It looks pretty good in the desktop version, but the table doesn't right align on the mobile version. So it ends up one long weirdly shaped table of pictures before the text starts. Anyway I've seen some really impressive and complicated tables on the site, but I doubt I can do the same.

_0blivion_ posted...
why is the first heading Spelunky 2 Walkthrough? would make more sense to be called Introduction or About
Yeah, you're right. I started with that and never changed it.

_0blivion_ posted...
what's with the -dashes- on the logo at the top? i thought my screen had dirt on it
Annoying quirk of the editor is that it treats images as "section headers". An error comes up if I try to delete the dashes. They were an easy quick fix but maybe I should change them to something else.

_0blivion_ posted...
why do World 3, 5 and 6 have no name but others do?
I did this to help avoid spoilers for people who want to see that stuff on their own. For example the name of world 3 specifically names the boss there. I realize it makes the TOC looks weird, though.

_0blivion_ posted...
I would recommend changing your email@whatever.com to email at whatever.com or spambots will find it.
I'm fine with that. I've been using the same one for over a decade now, and it hasn't been a problem.

Warhawk posted...
-Put "how to play" in the first section in it's own section as a "basics" section for the TOC
-For each of the "worlds" have put in "Walkthrough" section for the TOC and place each world for a subsection for the "walkthrough"
I think I know what you mean. I'll end up doing something like that. Personally I really dislike excessive page splitting, because it makes it more painful for the user to read. So that's why it is as it is now, but still, the intro probably should be split off.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#8
InfernoSD posted...
What do you think? Look okay, or is there a better way to do it? I think my ideal would have been to have some way of splitting the screen 50/50, with the right side of the screen loaded with images all the way down. I could put together more than enough useful images for that to work, and I could set all the images to be lined up with appropriate text. But I suppose it would look completely different on mobile and desktop.
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/3/3/7/AAOhO2AABBgx.jpg
Do you think it's good enough?
First FOTM won 05/26/2017, FOTM wins/attempts: 4/5, first ROTM won 01/06/2018, ROTM wins/attempts: 1/5

InfernoSD
1 month ago#9
ZeoKnight posted...
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/3/3/7/AAOhO2AABBgx.jpg
Do you think it's good enough?
It does look good. I tried to copy it and got it looking pretty similar, but I can see now that there's no ideal format that looks perfect at all resolutions. Unless you can make images dynamically resize themselves so they always scale to match the length of the page, it will always look good in one resolution but not another. For now, I'm going to keep adding images without tables.

I reverted my attempt to organize the TOC by subsections too. The editor doesn't like having headers with the same name like "Enemies" in each subsection, but it's fine with having them all at the top level.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#10
It's also possible to put images below each bullet. And put some additional texts below them too. This would solve the desktop vs mobile view, but I don't know if it resolves the main problem.

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/6/2/AAOhO2AABCTK.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. Wrote my first guide. Can I get some advice on formatting and images?
  • Post New Message