• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I need help with the HTML FAQ editor.

User Info: threetimes

threetimes
5 months ago#1
Decided I'd attempt to write a FAQ using this - for the first time - and I cannot even start it except for writing the title and a section title. Please take me through the basics. I do not understand the instructions at all! Am I supposed to write the FAQ using mark up and upload that to the editor? Please bear in mind I only know how to work with text files. In other words, I'm at kindergarten level- below noob.
The bells haven't stopped ringing yet.

User Info: ZeoKnight

ZeoKnight
5 months ago#2
After writing the section title and clicking "Add section" button, a rectangle with your predetermined title should appear somewhere above the button. This rectangle is called "section" and its title is clickable, taking you to the online editor where you can write your guide. This feature requires javascript to work correctly but your browser will have this enabled under normal setting.

I heard this feature has some problem on mobile, so it's better if you write the guide on your computer instead.
First FOTM won 05/26/2017, FOTM wins/attempts: 3/4, first ROTM won 01/06/2018, ROTM wins/attempts: 1/5
First COTM won 08/10/2018

threetimes
5 months ago#3
Oh thanks, I've got to that first step. But I think this is beyond me... sigh.

User Info: AzMuch

AzMuch
5 months ago#4
I feel like someone expert should be responding to this, but until then I can offer some observations. You say you have named the guide and created a section, so we can start from there.

The editor is very flexible and can fit many writing methods. I like to start with an outline because it helps me keep my thoughts organized through the days and weeks of game play while writing a guide. The editor is perfect for that. You can create a section for every topic you know you will want to cover in the guide and they will always be there in the Secion List, even when they are empty. The sections and sub-sections you create will give you that outline and will be the table of contents for the guide.

To add another section, go to Create New Section, enter a name for the section, and click Add Section. The editor will add the new section at the end of the guide, unless you use the drop-down box to place it somewhere else in your outline--after "name here" section.

You can move a section by dragging the section box up or down. Dragging it to the right will make it a sub-section of the section above. Sub-sections are the indented sections in the Section List and when displayed in the table of contents.

When you want to edit a section, click on the title of that section in Section List. The section opens with an editing box. Click in the box and you can begin editing. You can type text directly into the box or copy and paste from Notepad or the like. The buttons above the text box can be used to format, just like you would with any word processing app. You also can use the buttons at the top to add a table, an image, a link to another section of the guide, etc.

Use the Save Section button above the text box often. The editor automatically saves the section list, so you only have to worry about the content you put in each section.

The Preview Full Guide button will let you see how the guide would appear when opened on the site.
Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands! - Auron, Final Fantasy X

threetimes
5 months ago#5
Gosh. Thanks for this, and I will give it go following your instructions, I've been writing text FAQs for around 12 years so this is a struggle and I don't expect to win.:p

User Info: AzMuch

AzMuch
5 months ago#6
Your guides have always been a big help and I would like to see you have a good experience with the editor. Keep at it and don't get discouraged.
Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands! - Auron, Final Fantasy X

threetimes
5 months ago#7
Oh thank you. Oh and you wrote that DQ11 FAQ! Awesome game and awesome FAQ! I platted that thanks to you.:)

User Info: BHodges080

BHodges080
5 months ago#8
+1 to what AzMuch said.

The biggest adjustment will be figuring out how you want to organize your sections.

In a typical table of contents your sections are organized like so:
I. Main Section (First Level)
....A. Subsection (Second Level)
........1. Third level
............a. Fourth Level
................i. Fifth Level

With formatted FAQs, they are like this:
Main Section (h2)
....Subsection (h3)
........Third Level (h4)
............Fourth Level (h5)

Only the h2 and h3 sections are shown in the Table of Contents, to make navigation easier for the reader you may want to "hoist" sections a level higher than normal.

Example:

Let's say your guide was organized like this:

I. Introduction
II. Basic Gameplay
III. Walkthrough
....A. Chapter 1
........1. Talk to King
........2. Explore Cave
.............a. Find Key
.............b. Path to Boss Room
........3. Boss: Cave Troll
....B. Chapter 2

If you used these levels in a formatted FAQ, only the roman numerals and uppercase letters would be listed. What you would want to do is get rid of the Walkthrough header and make the Chapters main sections:

I. Introduction
II. Basic Gameplay
III. Chapter 1
....A. Talk to King
....B. Explore Cave
.........1. Find Key
.........2. Path to Boss Room
....C. Boss: Cave Troll
IV. Chapter 2

Now the reader can easily navigate to both the chapter and main subsections of each chapter through the Table of Contents.

In the editor you would create your main and subsections like so:

Introduction
Basic Gameplay
Chapter 1
....Talk to King
....Explore Cave
....Boss: Cave Troll
Chapter 2

Then you would click on the Talk to King subsection and add Find Key and Path to Boss Room as h4's.

Brian

threetimes
5 months ago#9
Thanks for help. Slowly making a little sense. It's a very simple FAQ which helps too!

threetimes
5 months ago#10
Can I preview the guide as a single page?
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I need help with the HTML FAQ editor.
  • Topic Closed