Does GameFAQs allows more than one Foreign Language FAQ of the same language?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. Does GameFAQs allows more than one Foreign Language FAQ of the same language?

User Info: RockmanPeru

RockmanPeru
5 months ago#1
I've wanted to write FAQs in my mother language (Spanish) for a while, given that older games usually don't have them. But some older games have some frankly repudiable FAQs as their sole representative.

For example, check the only Spanish Super Mario Bros FAQ.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/525243-super-mario-bros/faqs/9181

That FAQ is barely informative at all! I feel that I could do it better, way way better. Adding secret exit locations, point score, enemy descriptions, etc. But I dunno if GF could allow another FAQ in Spanish for that game.

A lot of Spanish and Latin American users come to GameFAQs only because there's no site like this in our language. I want to change that. I want to collaborate into building GameFAQS into an universal hub for game guides.

Right now I'm writing a Metroid (NES) FAQ in Spanish, since there isn't one, so let's see how it goes for me.
C - A

User Info: Spanettone

Spanettone
5 months ago#2
I don't remember if it's allowed, maybe yes

good luck anyway

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
5 months ago#3
I don't see why not. I recall seeing multiple guides in the same foreign language for certain games in the past. Go for it. :)

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
5 months ago#4
This is not a problem.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

User Info: Palen92

Palen92
5 months ago#5
I feel your pain, man. I also try to contribute as much as I can in Spanish, but of course if a game has no FAQs at all or no complete FAQ even in English, it shall become my priority over my mother language.

As long as your FAQ provides unique content that the other FAQs don't cover, it should be alright. What Gamefaqs doesn't want is just a pile of guides all stating the same info over and over, but that shouldn't be misunderstood as not allowing more than one guide.

RockmanPeru
5 months ago#6
SBAllen posted...
This is not a problem.

Thank you.

I think that I'm going to check what games I plan to write for already have guides, and if said guide is pretty awful (like the example I posted before), I'll try to fix that.

Does the antiquity or popularity of the game matter? Let's say I want to write a guide (in Spanish) for Final Fantasy VII. And that my guide has something the other guide lacks. Would it be accepted?
C - A

User Info: Spanettone

Spanettone
5 months ago#7
Palen92 posted...
I feel your pain, man. I also try to contribute as much as I can in Spanish, but of course if a game has no FAQs at all or no complete FAQ even in English, it shall become my priority over my mother language.

uh? and why?

you can do the opposite thing (first your mother language then english) and it will work anyway

User Info: ironyisntdead

ironyisntdead
5 months ago#8
RockmanPeru posted...
Does the antiquity or popularity of the game matter? Let's say I want to write a guide (in Spanish) for Final Fantasy VII. And that my guide has something the other guide lacks. Would it be accepted?

I've written for old and not so popular games and they've been accepted. However, there are other reasons why a guide would be rejected, like plagiarism. This link may help you:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/help
You havent set a signature for the message boards yet

RockmanPeru
5 months ago#9
ironyisntdead posted...
RockmanPeru posted...

I've written for old and not so popular games and they've been accepted. However, there are other reasons why a guide would be rejected, like plagiarism. This link may help you:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/help

Ah, this raises another question I've always had. In what point does it stops being "game data" and it becomes plagiarism?

Let's say I want to write a guide for Pokemon and I want to include the encounter rates for each area. If I were to copy said encounter rates from a readily available source, would it be plagiarism? Or would I need to resort at looking at the internal game files for researching that on my own?

I get that battle strategies are a different thing, but with in-game data I always had this doubt.
C - A

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
5 months ago#10
RockmanPeru posted...
Let's say I want to write a guide for Pokemon and I want to include the encounter rates for each area. If I were to copy said encounter rates from a readily available source, would it be plagiarism? Or would I need to resort at looking at the internal game files for researching that on my own?

Since encounter rates are factual info, so long as you're not copying them and how they're displayed, it's not plagiarism. It's nonetheless recommended you at least give credit, and ask for permission depending on the source. (Would be hard to get permission from Bulbapedia for example since you can't readily tie down the original contributor of the data.)
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. Does GameFAQs allows more than one Foreign Language FAQ of the same language?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived