Do you like the "Lock" System on bounties?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. Do you like the "Lock" System on bounties?

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
5 months ago#21
GfaqCodebreak posted...
Your right, and in fact any writers opinion about already published material should be voided or invalid.

I wouldn't go that far. As long as the criticism is valid and properly backed up, I don't think it's wrong to critique a guide just because it's already posted on the site.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com

User Info: GfaqCodebreak

GfaqCodebreak
5 months ago#22
Devin Morgan posted...
GfaqCodebreak posted...
Your right, and in fact any writers opinion about already published material should be voided or invalid.

I wouldn't go that far. As long as the criticism is valid and properly backed up, I don't think it's wrong to critique a guide just because it's already posted on the site.

True overreaction. Still losing hits on my ffxv guide considerably.
Supercodebreak youtube.com Gamefaqs Bounty Hunter Writer

User Info: GfaqCodebreak

GfaqCodebreak
5 months ago#23
With that being said, I am done with this topic as well.
Supercodebreak youtube.com Gamefaqs Bounty Hunter Writer

User Info: Chr0mio

Chr0mio
5 months ago#24
I think the current system is better in terms of fairness, but not in terms of writer activity and/or productivity.

With the current system, as Codebreak said, we have authors trying to get the lock on a game before others, and anybody that doesn't get the bounty will have less of an incentive to write for it.

We used to have popular titles with 3, 4, and 5 different guides because it was something they loved and if they did well enough in each separate category they each had a chance to get paid for it, on top of competing with the other guides posted for the "Highest Rated" spot on that page. The authors back at that point either tried to do very well in a specific section (for the categorized bounties) or just be better than the others who were making a guide for the same game. Now, we just have one person who claims the bounty ahead of time, the others who may have in the past decide not to since their chances of getting anything out of it are effectively zero (except for a bonus that they don't even know whether they're going to get). As a result, we have fewer guides in and less writer activity across the board due to a lack of incentive for all but one person, that being the person who locks it.

The current system is more fair because there's no sniping, nobody can sweep in with something half-assed and call it "complete enough" to win the bounty that you're working on. I like that because when I'm working on a guide I'd like to know that the only thing that can beat me to a bounty is something good. I like the system because of this, since obviously you grant more locks to people known for making better quality guides, generally. And the fact that there's more money up for grabs across the board is also a nice thing.

User Info: Zoska

Zoska
5 months ago#25
Now, we just have one person who claims the bounty ahead of time, the others who may have in the past decide not to since their chances of getting anything out of it are effectively zero (except for a bonus that they don't even know whether they're going to get). As a result, we have fewer guides in and less writer activity across the board due to a lack of incentive for all but one person, that being the person who locks it.

To counter this, I'd say that before the current system, you would always be writing guides for something you didn't know you were going to get. I know you like the new system, just thought I'd put that out there.

Now back on topic: I am in favour of the new system. It may not encourage writers to write for the same game, but it does encourage writers in general. I know this, because it encouraged me to finally go ahead and do it. I've been visiting GameFAQs for far too long. It's always been my go-to site for guides. I remember following the updates of Final Fantasy IX's Perfect Challenge FAQ. I always thought of writing something, but I figured there would always be someone with a lot more time in their hands than me and snipe me, which is why I never did it, but the second I learned about the new system, I finally participated.

That said, I think it's better to have more writers than to have more guides for the same game and it's definitely better to cover more games than to overkill a game with guides.

User Info: Krystal109

Krystal109
5 months ago#26
It has pros and cons.

Pros:
- gets rid of bounty snatches by lesser quality guides that are rushed
- Allen knows the work ethic of authors and will know ahead of time if they flake on completing guides regularly
- better quality guides, even if there is only 1 per game
- authors are not all writing for 1 game, leaving others without guides (see below)
- increased money = more new authors

Cons:
- less competition per game, since people will choose another project if something is locked
- locks don't open for games, month in advance and therefore sometime locks seem to happen too quickly*
- new authors don't have much experience (I would like to see them on this board for tips)

*For the above, I'm speaking about the fact that I like to plan months in advance what I am going to work on (especially if I'm pre-ordering a CE). When the locks open up about a month from release, I can't be sure that someone else won't get the lock and it makes it hard to plan ahead.

In general, it's a much more fair system. If people feel like they are constantly being beat out of locks, they may want to write for other games to build their reputation and quality, so Allen can see the quality of their work.

As for the bickering between @Eevee-Trainer and @GfaqCodebreak , I think there is a misunderstanding here. Eevee is simply trying to say that there are too few "test cases" on the new system, so it's impossible to use authors "backing out" after a lock as an argument - they will have to see how often that happens and if it is actually an issue and then change the program accordingly. As it is, I imagine this won't happen for any major titles because the reputation of established authors will usually result in them winning the lock over someone new.

Remember that no one here is "better" than anyone else. We are all just authors and the only way to win a lock is to prove yourself by writing good guides, regardless of winning money.

User Info: Chr0mio

Chr0mio
5 months ago#27
Another concern I have with this system is: with the fact that there's likely going to be only one guide on a game thanks to the new system, what if somebody locks it, works on it for a few weeks, and then has to drop it for some reason, opening the lock again?

Even in the case of well-known writers, sometimes s*** happens, to put it simply, and in the past if one author isn't able to complete their project there were others working on it, or maybe others had a better version of specific sections than the "top" guide.

Now, if someone locks a game then they almost exclusively will be writing for it, and they obviously have a deadline, because the bounty has one. If they discover they can't continue it at any point and have to drop it, the lock opens but only with two or three weeks left before it expires, so nobody takes it on and as a result there may never be a complete guide for it on the site.

That's the danger with only having one freelance writer on a game at a time, because even they may have s*** happen and have to dip on the project, and if it's a big one that nobody else can start and complete in the time the bounty has left, that's a loss for everyone.

Of course as with the previous case on this thread there's not enough of a sample to test the waters, but this is something that's bound to happen to some degree, even if the author originally planned on finishing it.

If this happens, does the bounty deadline move back to give other writers time to start their own lock on it? Do you offer a larger bonus on it because you really want somebody to get a complete guide up? Or will that game just forever be lost to the site?

User Info: Arkia

Arkia
5 months ago#28
Pros:
- gets rid of bounty snatches by lesser quality guides that are rushed
- Allen knows the work ethic of authors and will know ahead of time if they flake on completing guides regularly
- better quality guides, even if there is only 1 per game
- authors are not all writing for 1 game, leaving others without guides (see below)
- increased money = more new authors

Cons:
- less competition per game, since people will choose another project if something is locked
- locks don't open for games, month in advance and therefore sometime locks seem to happen too quickly*
- new authors don't have much experience (I would like to see them on this board for tips)

I've dropped guides I was working on because some skeleton guide was posted and the bounty was snatched. Before the lock system, I wouldn't post until I knew I'd get the bounty because otherwise, I'd be offering information to other guide 'writers' (and I had one bounty snatched because they used my information without credit to snipe the bounty). As a perfectionist, I don't like posting a guide before I finished so even if I had a much more comprehensive guide that was almost complete, if someone posted before, I'd drop my guide (at least as far as gfaqs was concerned). This motivates me to actually work on the guide if I see someone put up a skeleton guide because it means that I do have competition.

The problem now is that with the lock being basically guaranteed if you keep working is that anyone wanting to jump on the bounty will have to hope that the locker unlocks it. This is basically the opposite of before.

The biggest issue I see is that likely more experienced writers would have an advantage since they are more likely to know what they can do and they have the proven that they will do the work as well as having a history to see their quality.

That said, aside from what Krystal has already stated.

Pros:
-More motivation to COMPLETE the guide (though less motivation to hurry)
-More motivation to write a good guide (Before, you'd have people snipe the bounty then never really complete the guide and at least for some, it was a huge demotivation to see that happen).

Cons:
-Less motivation to rush a guide out (Which means generally the final guide will be higher quality than a snipe, but will take longer to come out).
-You have to post updates regularly. This means you could potentially end up with needing corrections due to information you find later on.
-Based on the rules (assuming I'm not misunderstanding them), you have to do the story information first with locks, this means for writers like me who specialize in research, we have to do what isn't our specialty first. Also, for some games this isn't that helpful since it is the research side that players need, not story side.
Aria of Vile Info's FW Rap Sheet: http://imgur.com/a/XXn2r
Arkia is now part of SinNoAria. I stream on twitch.

User Info: Arkia

Arkia
5 months ago#29
Chr0mio posted...
Another concern I have with this system is: with the fact that there's likely going to be only one guide on a game thanks to the new system, what if somebody locks it, works on it for a few weeks, and then has to drop it for some reason, opening the lock again?

Even in the case of well-known writers, sometimes s*** happens, to put it simply, and in the past if one author isn't able to complete their project there were others working on it, or maybe others had a better version of specific sections than the "top" guide.

Now, if someone locks a game then they almost exclusively will be writing for it, and they obviously have a deadline, because the bounty has one. If they discover they can't continue it at any point and have to drop it, the lock opens but only with two or three weeks left before it expires, so nobody takes it on and as a result there may never be a complete guide for it on the site.

That's the danger with only having one freelance writer on a game at a time, because even they may have s*** happen and have to dip on the project, and if it's a big one that nobody else can start and complete in the time the bounty has left, that's a loss for everyone.

Of course as with the previous case on this thread there's not enough of a sample to test the waters, but this is something that's bound to happen to some degree, even if the author originally planned on finishing it.

If this happens, does the bounty deadline move back to give other writers time to start their own lock on it? Do you offer a larger bonus on it because you really want somebody to get a complete guide up? Or will that game just forever be lost to the site?

Considering that you have to post regular updates, that means a lot of the information will be available. I'm sure that if dropping becomes an issue in the future we'll probably see something with locks stating that if you don't finish, the information can be used by the next author.
Aria of Vile Info's FW Rap Sheet: http://imgur.com/a/XXn2r
Arkia is now part of SinNoAria. I stream on twitch.

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
5 months ago#30
For advance bounties, we aren't going to award a lock to the very first person who applies. Rather, we'll wait a few days and see who shows interest then choose whomever we feel is the best candidate. By having the lock open at a set time that an author can look up and know, it's a lot easier for multiple people to show interest than us just opening up the bounty at a random time, possibly many months in advance, and then choosing someone. Either we'd have to wait a really long time to award the lock (leaving the authors in suspense and possibly blocking them from pursuing other bounties) or we'd have to award it in a reasonable turnaround time of a few days and people might miss their chance to apply.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. Do you like the "Lock" System on bounties?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived