• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I have several beefs. Most involve the editor.

User Info: SSBBSB

SSBBSB
7 months ago#1
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but...this new "Bounty" system seems to favor those who can crank out a guide for a new game quickly. It's now a race for money instead of a system that rewards good guides of any game.

2. Today, the editor got stuck on "Attempting to save." I read that some poor soul lost four hours of work. This thing USED to autosave often. Now, it doesn't. Now, we often lose progress.

3. Screenshots taken by elgato, even after I shrink them, get stuck while uploading. I closed everything except the editor. That helped nothing. Without screenshots, readers must blindly fumble around, get frustrated, then look up the info elsewhere.

4. We need an easier way to add a subsection to a section besides dragging it from one end to the desired destination. It's rough on fingers to drag things across 20+ sections.
All humans are creepy in their own way. - ggghhh3
3DS FC: 2294-4506-7568

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
7 months ago#2
SSBBSB posted...
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but...this new "Bounty" system seems to favor those who can crank out a guide for a new game quickly. It's now a race for money instead of a system that rewards good guides of any game.

The Bounty system has always been that way. At least now there are countermeasures to low-effort Bounty-snatching.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of removing the FotM winnings though. Maybe Bonus Bounties will help counterbalance that.

SSBBSB posted...
2. Today, the editor got stuck on "Attempting to save." I read that some poor soul lost four hours of work. This thing USED to autosave often. Now, it doesn't. Now, we often lose progress.

I believe an autosave feature is in the works. That said I have encountered this a few times (to Devin's chagrin because I thought it an internet problem and just spammed the save button); my suggestion is to simply keep the unsaved file open in a tab until the problem resolves.

SSBBSB posted...
3. Screenshots taken by elgato, even after I shrink them, get stuck while uploading. I closed everything except the editor. That helped nothing. Without screenshots, readers must blindly fumble around, get frustrated, then look up the info elsewhere.

Can't comment on the elgato issue - never used it - but honestly if you're decent enough at navigating you won't need to use too many images. If images are necessary for navigation, you're better just handing the user a map with annotations and leaving at that (where navigation is concerned).

SSBBSB posted...
4. We need an easier way to add a subsection to a section besides dragging it from one end to the desired destination. It's rough on fingers to drag things across 20+ sections.

I think such a thing is in the works already but I could be wrong
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd

User Info: Uta

Uta
7 months ago#3

There's a user or two on these boards who have practically admitted to doing as much with the old system. If nothing else the new system actually allows more time to write a good guide as you won't have to worry about Snipers. The purpose of the deadlines is to A) Make sure you're working hard on earning the bounty and B) Make sure that the guide is up in time to generate search traffic through google, earning CBS enough money (and ideally for them, profit) to warrant the larger payouts.

It happens. My solution is to "cut" the entire section (CTRL+A,CTRL+X), exit the FAQ "losing" all progress, and then re-open the lost section and pasting everything in again. (CTRL + A > DEL > this clears the section, then CTRL + V to re-add what was on my clipboard) The only drawback to this is that I believe some kinds of formatting won't stick, such as table sizes or alignments. That can be a hassle to redo.

1) Make sure the image isn't "in-use" when uploading. (ie, the file is open in another program such as photoshop)

2) Make sure you save the files in a format GameFAQs can understand (such as .JPG or .PNG) I process most of my screenshots in photoshop and sometimes forget that GameFAQs won't like a .PS file.

3) As long as you're using a losless format a workaround could be to upload the image to a good hosting site (one that doesn't auto-scale or re-save images ideally), and then download from that source. An example would be to upload to imager, download it back, and then upload the new file which no longer has elgato buried in it.

A right-click "Add Sub/Section Above/Below would be the ideal, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be given how the "pieces" can be drag and dropped.

=Edit=
A case against auto-save by the way. There's still a persistent bug in the Editor that causes an entire section to be deleted when you try to delete one line. Normally control-z fixes it, but I've lost tons of progress with the old editor where I wouldn't realize the dang thing auto-saved and I'd close it trying to restore my data. (or hitting preview too quickly, etc.)
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
7 months ago#4
Mmmm, beef. Now I want burgers for dinner.

SSBBSB posted...

Incorrect. You can lock a bounty well before the game comes out and we're currently favoring locks towards the best pitches. If you barely write anything when you ask for a Lock, your odds go down considerably. Once it's locked, as long as you're making updates regularly, you can take your time (within reason) to get the guide done.

This one's tricky and as we're using a heavily modified third party product, it's going to be nearly impossible for us to track down what exactly might cause this to happen. We have made talks about adding in an optional auto-save that can be toggled on/off, but until we do I just recommend saving frequently.

If you can give us a bit more information here, it would be helpful. What browser(s) are you trying? What size are the screenshots? Anything else you could provide? As this seems to be a mostly isolated issue that we can't really replicate, we need to know as much as we can to try to figure it out for you.

Open to suggestions here. Most people prefer drag and drop to other options from what we've heard.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

Eevee-Trainer
7 months ago#5
SBAllen posted...
Open to suggestions here. Most people prefer drag and drop to other options from what we've heard.

Eh, it gets to be a pain in the rear once you have a reasonably long guide. Some sort of dropdown menu - like "Insert After [section]" - would be more efficient imo.
See me on Discord! ^.^

SSBBSB
7 months ago#6
Is it me, or does the site no longer value guides for old games?

Eevee-Trainer
7 months ago#7
SSBBSB posted...

The site values most the guides that actually get more hits at the end of the day since they serve to help the most people and ultimately drive the most people to the site.

Old games' guides are valued but it's primarily in cases where the game is not covered at all, feels like.
See me on Discord! ^.^

SSBBSB
7 months ago#8
Eevee-Trainer posted...
more hits

Alright. I'm done here.

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
7 months ago#9
SSBBSB posted...

What gives you that idea? Obviously there isn't nearly as much of a draw for classic games as there is for the hottest/newest titles, that's how it is anywhere. But we will never discourage writing for a particular game, no matter its age.

And now on to covering the more constructive feedback...

SSBBSB posted...

Exactly how large are the images you're attempting to upload? As I stated in another topic, you're likely to experience issues if you're not optimizing your images before uploading. If they're El Gato screenshots, resizing them down from 1920x1080 or whatever, and ensuring they're not several MB in size each is the best approach. Without having any sort of context from you (size/resolution of images, trying to upload many at once, etc), I can't really offer much else in the way of advice.

SSBBSB posted...

Eevee-Trainer posted...
Eh, it gets to be a pain in the rear once you have a reasonably long guide. Some sort of dropdown menu - like "Insert After [section]" - would be more efficient imo.

I can look into making this happen soon. It's pretty easy to set up when creating a new section, or even modifying existing sections. Don't forget you can always use markup and upload that into the editor, which will do most of the sorting work for you.

As for autosave, it was part of the old editor, yes. But it often led to freezing people's browsers because of the sheer size of the content within the editor. This is a major reason why we now require you to access your guide content one section at a time in the editor; bite-size pieces are easier to save/load than the whole thing at once. I have looked into reinstating it for the current editor, even if it were offered purely as some sort of optional thing (like the pagination option associated with each document). It just hasn't been done yet.

Don't misinterpret this to mean "it's never happening" however. Understand that I'm basically the only programmer here and the site is quite large, so sometimes I don't get to spend nearly as much time working on specific areas as I might like. I do believe I've been quite active in responding to criticisms and fixing them in a timely manner though. I can only fix what I know about though. :)
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com

SSBBSB
7 months ago#10
First, I got frustrated and, like a reactionary manchild, I threw a tantrum. I'm sorry, y'all...

The shrunken screenshot for the BotW DLC blue lobster shirt is a 755KB png file. I have no clue how big that is.

And I'm...relieved to hear that Devin is actively trying to improve things.

Look... I'll be honest with y'all. The only reason why I'm huffy about older games not winning fancy awards is because I don't have the guts or self-confidence to wade into the present era and cover new games. I'm careful to a fault. In fact, I barely know what's hip and popular nowadays. I can't fathom how y'all can instantly write good guides for new games. There's another reason to why I care about money, but...it's a bit personal.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I have several beefs. Most involve the editor.
  • Topic Archived