Editor issues

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: Arkia

Arkia
6 months ago#1
I personally have two issues with the editor:

First issue: Stuck on attempting to save. Lost a good 4 hours of work because it wouldn't save and I accidentally hit the preview button after a few minutes of trying. (I thought I had saved it each H4 section, but it reverted to the version from when I first opened the page on my final save attempt that failed).
Second issue is more a personal issues: I see two options for how to group, but I would love to see a third option. Currently we have sections, sections and subsections, but I'd love to see Sections OR Subsections. For example, have it so that if we hit a section, it will show the entire section, but if we hit a subsection, it will only show that subsection.
Aria of Vile Info's FW Rap Sheet: http://imgur.com/a/XXn2r
Arkia is now part of SinNoAria. I stream on twitch.

User Info: ZeoKnight

ZeoKnight
6 months ago#2
Arkia posted...
First issue: Stuck on attempting to save.

It happened to me several times ago when I worked offline and then hit the save button after having the connection up. The text only shows "Attempting to save..." all the time. At that time I opened a new blank section in a new tab, cut-pasted my work to the new section, and then pasted them back bit by bit. I eventually found the error; it was about the formatting of various texts, images, and table INSIDE a cell of a big table, but I couldn't report it since I couldn't replicate the issue. To fix that, I used the clear formatting button to the whole table and then re-appended the formats back.

I'd love to see Sections OR Subsections. For example, have it so that if we hit a section, it will show the entire section, but if we hit a subsection, it will only show that subsection.

I still don't understand about it. Do you mean if the readers click an H2 page, it'll display that H2 and all H3s in a single page? But if the readers click an H3 page, it'll display only that H3?
First Black Star achieved 04/25/2017
First FOTM won 05/26/2017, first ROTM won 01/06/2018

Arkia
6 months ago#3
ZeoKnight posted...
Arkia posted...
First issue: Stuck on attempting to save.

It happened to me several times ago when I worked offline and then hit the save button after having the connection up. The text only shows "Attempting to save..." all the time. At that time I opened a new blank section in a new tab, cut-pasted my work to the new section, and then pasted them back bit by bit. I eventually found the error; it was about the formatting of various texts, images, and table INSIDE a cell of a big table, but I couldn't report it since I couldn't replicate the issue. To fix that, I used the clear formatting button to the whole table and then re-appended the formats back.

I'd love to see Sections OR Subsections. For example, have it so that if we hit a section, it will show the entire section, but if we hit a subsection, it will only show that subsection.

I still don't understand about it. Do you mean if the readers click an H2 page, it'll display that H2 and all H3s in a single page? But if the readers click an H3 page, it'll display only that H3?

Yes, basically. Readers who can handle a larger amount of text would be able to click the H2 and see everything while readers who want to see smaller chunks could click the H3s.

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
6 months ago#4
Not sure what might have caused that save issue. If you can give us more info we might be able to figure it out. Regardless, my suggestion would be that if you click Save once and it doesn't work, copy everything from the editor into a Word or whatever document just in case the save won't ever go through.

For the "Sections OR Subsections" suggestion, Google would punish the guide in terms of SEO if this were offered. That isn't really good for anyone.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

Arkia
6 months ago#5
SBAllen posted...
Not sure what might have caused that save issue. If you can give us more info we might be able to figure it out. Regardless, my suggestion would be that if you click Save once and it doesn't work, copy everything from the editor into a Word or whatever document just in case the save won't ever go through.

For the "Sections OR Subsections" suggestion, Google would punish the guide in terms of SEO if this were offered. That isn't really good for anyone.

Ah, so that was for google's SEO.

As a question about the Editor, is it possible to make 'hidden' sections that don't show up? Basically if I want to work on a section, but don't want to post it before it is ready.

User Info: Uta

Uta
6 months ago#6
Arkia posted...
SBAllen posted...

As a question about the Editor, is it possible to make 'hidden' sections that don't show up? Basically if I want to work on a section, but don't want to post it before it is ready.

The only time I've experienced issues with saving is when I do things like leave the guide open overnight or let my computer sleep with the page open. Thankfully I'm paranoid and when I see the page malfunctioning (caught in a save loop) I'll CTRL+A > CTRL+X. Then I refresh the page. Highlight it all, and paste over it and save.

@SBAllen - less of an issue, but occasionally if I highlight a line or paragraph and delete it, the entire section gets erased. I can fix it with CTRL-Z, but it's terrifying when it happens. The occurrence is pretty rare for me these days, but do you have any insight on what's causing it?

As for "ghost" sections. Create a Duplicate of your FAQ. One is a working copy you can futz around with and the other is for finalized sections. For future Bounties I plan on doing something like that. My weekdays are limited but weekends are not. In order to maintain consistent progress I'll write up several rough drafts of various sections, and then transfer them to the real guide throughout the week as I polish then off. That way I maintain the signifigant uploads ever 3 days without having to do tons of work through the weekdays when I work.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
6 months ago#7
Arkia posted...

This is not possible.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com

User Info: ZeoKnight

ZeoKnight
6 months ago#8
Uta posted...
Create a Duplicate of your FAQ

That's basically what I did with markup documents. Sometimes I only need to update one or two sections since the other sections have been polished with several improvements not available in markups, so I create a blank guide, upload my markup, open the necessary section, and then copy the whole section into the main guide.

if I highlight a line or paragraph and delete it, the entire section gets erased

I believe I also had this experience although I didn't know what caused it. And as I said before, if I can't replicate it, I can't report it.
First Black Star achieved 04/25/2017
First FOTM won 05/26/2017, first ROTM won 01/06/2018

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
6 months ago#9
Uta posted...
Create a Duplicate of your FAQ. One is a working copy you can futz around with and the other is for finalized sections.

If this is a wanted feature, even for just a couple people, I can look into making it happen.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com

Arkia
6 months ago#10
Uta posted...
Arkia posted...
SBAllen posted...

The only time I've experienced issues with saving is when I do things like leave the guide open overnight or let my computer sleep with the page open. Thankfully I'm paranoid and when I see the page malfunctioning (caught in a save loop) I'll CTRL+A > CTRL+X. Then I refresh the page. Highlight it all, and paste over it and save.

@SBAllen - less of an issue, but occasionally if I highlight a line or paragraph and delete it, the entire section gets erased. I can fix it with CTRL-Z, but it's terrifying when it happens. The occurrence is pretty rare for me these days, but do you have any insight on what's causing it?

As for "ghost" sections. Create a Duplicate of your FAQ. One is a working copy you can futz around with and the other is for finalized sections. For future Bounties I plan on doing something like that. My weekdays are limited but weekends are not. In order to maintain consistent progress I'll write up several rough drafts of various sections, and then transfer them to the real guide throughout the week as I polish then off. That way I maintain the signifigant uploads ever 3 days without having to do tons of work through the weekdays when I work.

Yeah, I was just hoping that the new system would have allowed me to stop.

Devin Morgan posted...
Uta posted...
Create a Duplicate of your FAQ. One is a working copy you can futz around with and the other is for finalized sections.

If this is a wanted feature, even for just a couple people, I can look into making it happen.

Even an option to easily transfer sections between faqs would be nice (as a workaround). I mean, one way to do it would be to basically have each editor file actually be two files, one visible, one not and hiding a section would basically move it to the second file.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived