• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I just got a weird no recommendation...

User Info: Chr0mio

Chr0mio
8 months ago#71
It was talked about earlier in the thread when Allen broke down the Kirby guide we're currently doing, and those duplicate-header parts seem mostly involved with my sections.

I'm just not particularly sure what's even causing it, since I can see on my own end that I'm not typing down anything double on my own. I figure it must be some intricacy of the formatting that I'm not familiar with causing the duplication.

For reference, my editor looks like http://prntscr.com/iuzapr outside of any pages, and then http://prntscr.com/iuzb2a inside of the page for Picture Pieces.

What I'm gathering from Allen's words is that somewhere in between those two screenshots, there's something I'm doing that's causing the header "Picture Pieces" to duplicate itself? That is, unless I'm misunderstanding his words to begin with. And this isn't something I'm seeing happen in the preview, either, so it's possible that I'm misunderstanding, but I'm trying to figure out what's going on here regardless that makes him consider it an important error to mention.

You also have a "Friend Abilities" subsection title right below the "Friend Abilities" section title which isn't necessary.

For the Picture Pieces part, he said the same thing is happening there, and since it's... a better section, I decided to use it as a reference, heh.

User Info: Heropon_Totoro

Heropon_Totoro
8 months ago#72
GfaqCodebreak posted...
One more thing, you folks keep assuming that readers just want information on how to beat the game. I can go on about how many players don't need any help at all. A good read for entertainment is just as important is information, a good guide has both, anyone can watch a collectible video on youtube and get the same if not faster result then using a guide.

actually, people who have mentioned that (myself included) have said it's their style of writing, and not only does it work well for them, people have expressed that they like it too. it's not the only way to write, and adding more flavour and personality and things works well for other people, and a lot of times is really good. the main issue is making sure that the most important information isn't lost in the (for lack of a better word) fluff. a good testament to this is the differences between my guide and Uta's for the same game. mine is far more cut and dry, and hers contains far more context and other information that my guide relies on being used directly alongside the game for that, but they both work really well and seem to be equally well received.

Again, I can only go based on the examples cited, as i really don't have time to read through guides and such while trying to finish off mine with a new baby and working, but in the ones I've seen here, at least some parts seem to suffer a little bit from that. Most of the critcisms do not really seem to be to cut out everything that you do, but cut back so that all the extra is still relevant and useful, even if it's more for entertainment than direction.

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
8 months ago#73
@GfaqCodebreak @Chr0mio I just noticed in your most recent update there was some kind of error on the backend that caused the navigational tools not to show up on your guide. Processing the submission again doesn't cure the issue so you'll probably want to send in an update to the guide ASAP and see if it fixes the issue.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

User Info: Warhawk

Warhawk
8 months ago#74
Thought maybe I can help weigh in a little on the subject. I know like with me, for example, I may look at other guides to see how they're done and maybe pick up a few pointers to maybe incorporate in my own way. Although the recent hiatus I took from late 2015/early 2016 to now wrote some fanfiction to possibly help out with my writing style and at the same time have a Grammarly add-on installed in like the internet browsers to help me out some in that department. In the end at least to me being serious about the guides can be good but try to lighten the mood from time to time which usually helps out on my end anyway. Apologies if I seem to be rambling on.
FAQs: 28 - Reviews: 86
FOTM: 4, ROTM: 1 | http://facebook.com/WarhawkFAQs

User Info: GfaqCodebreak

GfaqCodebreak
8 months ago#75
Warhawk posted...
Thought maybe I can help weigh in a little on the subject. I know like with me, for example, I may look at other guides to see how they're done and maybe pick up a few pointers to maybe incorporate in my own way. Although the recent hiatus I took from late 2015/early 2016 to now wrote some fanfiction to possibly help out with my writing style and at the same time have a Grammarly add-on installed in like the internet browsers to help me out some in that department. In the end at least to me being serious about the guides can be good but try to lighten the mood from time to time which usually helps out on my end anyway. Apologies if I seem to be rambling on.

thanks @Warhawk
Supercodebreak youtube.com Gamefaqs Bounty Hunter Writer

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
8 months ago#76
@Chr0mio Thank you for submitting the update. The pagination issue has been resolved. It must've been some sort of hiccup in our back end; apologies for the brief inconvenience.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com

User Info: Chr0mio

Chr0mio
8 months ago#77
Alright, phew, glad I haven't been doing anything like that this entire time without knowing. Thanks for the heads up

User Info: Roxborough4Ever

Roxborough4Ever
8 months ago#78
let the posts consume you.....
You feast on red herring because it is your birthright.

User Info: Uta

Uta
8 months ago#79
Me, pages ago...
I was going to avoid commenting in the interest of avoiding hostility, but I think that bridge has been burned.

Forgive me for I have sinned. I just wanted to clear the air, because a few people were saying "Don't listen to down-votes their just trolls", but I recognized the complaints as exactly the same as I might have, and pretty much wanted to say "No, do listen to them they're trying to give you good advice." I want the takeaway here to be: "Listen to comments if they make sense."

I would however like to put forward a new idea. Simply put, it's clear that most of us here have opinions, and aren't afraid of sharing them. Would you all like to start personalized FAQ critiques on this board?. That is to say, a dedicated Critique thread for the Kirby All Stars FAQ, or for God of War, or A Way Out, or whatever else releases. Basically, I think that with the new functionality of the Bounty System this forum is capable of providing more thought-out and meaningful criticisms of people's guide.

I know I for one am more than a little concerned with how people feel about it, as I'm aiming to help as many people as I can. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/204208-xenoblade-chronicles-2/76173037

In fact I've done so in the past.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

User Info: Krystal109

Krystal109
8 months ago#80
I think it is up to the author. If an author wants opinion and feedback, they need to start a thread.

That being said, it would be nice if @SBAllen would direct some of the newer authors to this board when they apply for a lock. I noticed a lot of really bad formatting and editor errors on these new locked bounties that are sad to see when ppl are being paid hundreds of dollars. It's not that the author is bad, they just don't have years of experience like some ppl here.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I just got a weird no recommendation...
  • Topic Archived