I just got a weird no recommendation...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I just got a weird no recommendation...

User Info: GfaqCodebreak

GfaqCodebreak
6 months ago#61
@Eevee-Trainer

its ok! :) i just love my guides. Fine be vulgar all ya went then if thats you its cool. I shoulda took what you were saying to heart. I just love that stuff in there. Also, I am pretty sure your not the boss which is why I basically ignored it lol. I could be wrong though, because this is the internet lol
Supercodebreak youtube.com Gamefaqs Bounty Hunter Writer

User Info: Devin Morgan

Devin Morgan
6 months ago#62
Okay, this is not the place for bandwagoning. There have been valid criticisms and things @GfaqCodebreak needs to work on with his guides. Unless there is more helpful advice to be doled out, I think there's nothing further to be said.

Everyone who's commented so far knows what's they're talking about. We've all done great guides over the years. I think if codebreak just focuses on the task at hand (this includes proofreading and grammar, as well as coherent and cohesive coverage of the game), he'll improve rather quickly. We appreciate the enthusiasm to write, but half-assing it isn't beneficial to anyone involved, including yourself.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579
NES FAQ Completion Project:
http://faqs.retronintendo.com

GfaqCodebreak
6 months ago#63
Devin Morgan posted...
Okay, this is not the place for bandwagoning. There have been valid criticisms and things @GfaqCodebreak needs to work on with his guides. Unless there is more helpful advice to be doled out, I think there's nothing further to be said.

Everyone who's commented so far knows what's they're talking about. We've all done great guides over the years. I think if codebreak just focuses on the task at hand (this includes proofreading and grammar, as well as coherent and cohesive coverage of the game), he'll improve rather quickly. We appreciate the enthusiasm to write, but half-assing it isn't beneficial to anyone involved, including yourself.

The thing is you folks are criticising the two guides that i truly really wholly molly, did NOT half ass. I dedicated my time, turned down payment from other sites, this nonsense on the boards here and more for those two.

PS the same quality will be coming for God Of War, i already have something up, but if the "classics" section arent working and I get to stay on gamefaqs thats all i care about.

GfaqCodebreak
6 months ago#64
@Eevee-Trainer

anyway, I am not a greedy person by all means just throwing that out there.

User Info: Chr0mio

Chr0mio
6 months ago#65
Interesting stuff here, though the topic did manage to change a bit into individual analysis of specific guides, lol. I digress, though, because this stuff is helpful to see.

As for the things @SBAllen said, which is mainly what interests me here, especially since my portions of the guide (which is anything not involving the Walkthrough/Sub-Games pages, since those are all Code's) I like to hear feedback on. Unfortunately, as OP suggests, it's not common that you get very much helpful info from comments and Yes/No's.

To start, I went ahead and fixed the whole "pointless section" parts, since until now I always figured it would be better to have something on a page rather than nothing, at least for some way for the reader to know what the entire section is on. I see that I was wrong about that.

The next big concern I have is the fact that there's the whole duplicating-header thing going on that I'm not exactly... sure how to spot? Like, I have the page, "Appendix," and then the sub-section, "Picture Pieces," and at the start of that page I don't have any headers duplicating those words, I just start typing the information and then separating the individual worlds into H4's, which I suppose could be turned into H3's if they're making something duplicate? Is that even what I'm doing wrong? I'm interested in knowing exactly how this is happening, since I'm not physically typing out any duplicate H4's in the editor and when previewing it I don't see any sort of duplication, so a little help here would be appreciated.

On to the parts about personality/jokes/extra-information that were being discussed for a little bit: I actually have always been one of those people who enjoy reading the guides and seeing the writer put some of their own feelings and personality into it. Like, it's not acceptable for a writer to say "this boss is easy for me so I'm not going to talk about it much," but I do think it's acceptable - and I would even encourage it - to talk about your own take on the boss fight as you're describing it in the first paragraph, before getting down to the details of specific attacks or patterns, etc. I just think that it's nice to see the writer, like, present in the writing. We're not machines here, we're people and we're playing through the game and talking about what we find out and learn and come to understand, as well as sharing our own opinions and feelings on it when appropriate. I just think is adds more flair to a guide, since if you want plain information dumps you can probably find it in just a quick Google search. I want people to become more attached to my writing than to others' on other sites, isn't that important? So whilst having very good, detailed, and accurate information, I put some of myself and my own style into writing so that in the future people can think, "I wonder if so-and-so has a guide on this game, I would be into that" instead of simply going to a Google search. Anyone else feeling this?

GfaqCodebreak
6 months ago#66
In conclusion....

@SBAllen @Devin_Morgan

do you guys want me to remove the classic sections?
and not apply this to my future god of war guide?

Devin Morgan
6 months ago#67
Maybe half-assing was a poor word choice. The point is simply to put your best effort in, that's all. Obviously we can see it in your previous work (BotW and FFXV for example; frankly I thought you did an excellent job with BotW, though you are still clearly missing plenty of information). The goal is to help others; literally anything you can do to achieve that goal will benefit everyone (the readers by getting the help they needed, yourself by getting more upvotes/praise). Even things that seem simple like explaining things in a clear and concise manner, using formatting features when appropriate, etc. If I have two guides side by side, the author who more clearly articulates the information I'm looking for will get my vote.

If you need pointers, look at guides by the rest of us. See how the rest of us go about explaining things, using features like tables/images/colors/bulleted lists, and so on.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
6 months ago#68
GfaqCodebreak posted...
In conclusion....

@SBAllen @Devin_Morgan

do you guys want me to remove the classic sections?
and not apply this to my future god of war guide?

Please. A little history can be okay, in really broad terms. But having multiple pages dedicated not just to discussing older games but explaining how to unlock things in them and such is massive overkill.

Chr0mio posted...
On to the parts about personality/jokes/extra-information that were being discussed for a little bit: I actually have always been one of those people who enjoy reading the guides and seeing the writer put some of their own feelings and personality into it. Like, it's not acceptable for a writer to say "this boss is easy for me so I'm not going to talk about it much," but I do think it's acceptable - and I would even encourage it - to talk about your own take on the boss fight as you're describing it in the first paragraph, before getting down to the details of specific attacks or patterns, etc. I just think that it's nice to see the writer, like, present in the writing. We're not machines here, we're people and we're playing through the game and talking about what we find out and learn and come to understand, as well as sharing our own opinions and feelings on it when appropriate. I just think is adds more flair to a guide, since if you want plain information dumps you can probably find it in just a quick Google search. I want people to become more attached to my writing than to others' on other sites, isn't that important? So whilst having very good, detailed, and accurate information, I put some of myself and my own style into writing so that in the future people can think, "I wonder if so-and-so has a guide on this game, I would be into that" instead of simply going to a Google search. Anyone else feeling this?

Leaving personality is fine for sure. Some of what I'm pointing out to codebreak is less personality and more what sounds like rambling and doesn't really add anything to the guide. I'm hoping and assuming anyone reading all of this can differentiate the two.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

Devin Morgan
6 months ago#69
Chr0mio posted...
The next big concern I have is the fact that there's the whole duplicating-header thing going on that I'm not exactly... sure how to spot? Like, I have the page, "Appendix," and then the sub-section, "Picture Pieces," and at the start of that page I don't have any headers duplicating those words, I just start typing the information and then separating the individual worlds into H4's, which I suppose could be turned into H3's if they're making something duplicate? Is that even what I'm doing wrong? I'm interested in knowing exactly how this is happening, since I'm not physically typing out any duplicate H4's in the editor and when previewing it I don't see any sort of duplication, so a little help here would be appreciated.

This is something I can help with. Are you seeing any errors or having issues with saving your sections? Without knowing exactly what's going on, I'm not sure what (if any) help is requested.
Devin Morgan | CRP #3579

GfaqCodebreak
6 months ago#70
One more thing, you folks keep assuming that readers just want information on how to beat the game. I can go on about how many players don't need any help at all. A good read for entertainment is just as important is information, a good guide has both, anyone can watch a collectible video on youtube and get the same if not faster result then using a guide.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I just got a weird no recommendation...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived