I just got a weird no recommendation...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I just got a weird no recommendation...

User Info: GfaqCodebreak

GfaqCodebreak
4 months ago#41
@SBAllen

i think i was trying to get too much KB.. What I should do is lessen the KB and just make it more viable. It would actually speed up the time to write a guide honestly.
Supercodebreak youtube.com Gamefaqs Bounty Hunter Writer

User Info: Krystal109

Krystal109
4 months ago#42
KB doesn't equal quality. There are a lot of junk guides that people posted with inflated text just to increase KB. In fact, they had to make it so that hidden text in markup didn't count toward KB because people were inflating the size of their guides.

Focus on quality, not KB or length.

User Info: GfaqCodebreak

GfaqCodebreak
4 months ago#43
Krystal109 posted...
KB doesn't equal quality. There are a lot of junk guides that people posted with inflated text just to increase KB. In fact, they had to make it so that hidden text in markup didn't count toward KB because people were inflating the size of their guides.

Focus on quality, not KB or length.

thanks krystal.. are u joining our discord?

https://discord.gg/V8j6e2a

goes for everyone else that sees this ur welcome to join.
Supercodebreak youtube.com Gamefaqs Bounty Hunter Writer

Krystal109
4 months ago#44
I don't use Discord, sorry.

User Info: Roxborough4Ever

Roxborough4Ever
4 months ago#45
Krystal109 posted...
To add to what Uta and Allen have been saying:

I find that a lot of readers today don't care about funny commentary or explanation. They are after answers of how to pass a certain area and don't really care for your humor or banter. In the old days, people like Steve would write excessive amounts of information that some readers really liked. Those days have really changed.

I know that most people who read my guides have commented that they like that there is no messing around and the guides are to the point, even dry. At most, I might add one or two lines of insight into something that happens, but it's usually not a spoiler and is usually unrelated to the game (I once made a comment about a boss in Tales of Graces f with a quote from a movie that reminds people that even the worst of people often think they are doing the "right" thing.).

humor is one thing, but raw data is another. i dont care for the opinions of the FAQ writer, i just care about the game
You feast on red herring because it is your birthright.

User Info: Spanettone

Spanettone
4 months ago#46
I come here to get infos, not jokes

if I want jokes, I go to memebase

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
4 months ago#47
@GfaqCodebreak: Just wanted to give you some feedback on your new Kirby collab guide as well. Maybe if we can give you some feedback as the guide is created it might be helpful.

Introduction: Mostly fine, but the recommendation text is grammatically confusing. I'd go with something like "If you like this walkthrough and would recommend it to other people, consider hitting the "Yes" button above so that others know this is a great guide! If you don't recommend this guide, please leave us feedback on what we can improve. Thanks!"

Basics: I would honestly scrap this whole page as there's nothing of value on it. With no content, this would just put "Basics" in the ToC but make it unclickable, letting the reader click into whichever subsection they want. The subsections look fine as-is.

Walkthrough: Again, this page is devoid of content and doesn't need to be there. Delete the content and let it just be a navigational tool in the ToC.

World of Peace - Dream Land: This reads fine. I haven't played anything aside from the demo but I'm guessing this is serviceable enough for someone to follow it and not miss anything without it being required to watch the video? Remember that videos are always supplemental and often readers come to a text guide because they don't necessarily want to watch them. If something requires a bit more detail in the text, please add it.

World of Miracles - Planet Popstar: I'm not really sure what's going on at the start. There's an image with just text in it (that's super hard to read) and the text is mostly duplicated in the paragraph underneath it. There's also some of that running commentary I mentioned about your BotW guide in here (things like "I actually died more than twice here." that don't really offer up anything to the reader).

It's also strange that you mention the difficulty increases in this world but don't have the level by level commentary found in the first, easier world. There's also a mention of a collectible guide that isn't linked, so it would be up to the reader to find it if they wanted to see what's referenced there.

Sub-Games: You can probably guess my suggestion here. This page offers nothing and should be scrapped and instead used as ToC navigation.

Star Slam Heroes: Needs grammatical touchups ("Players must shortly after hitting the meteor with the baseball bat."). Also, you lead with "Slam Star Heroes is a little mini-game that plays very similarly to Megaton Punch and Crackity Hack from past Kirby titles, available at the start of your playthrough." I haven't played these past games so I don't know what that means. You should always assume that a reader is going into your guide's game blind as far as the series is concerned.

Chop Champs: This one seems fine. It leads off with an actual description. It's a bit bare, but these minigames seem pretty bare to begin with.

Friend Abilities: Seems like a good start, but honestly feels lacking in terms of usefulness. If you don't want to list out every combination (which seems fair if there's a lot), I would at least suggest creating a table wherein you show the ability name, what enemy you can get it from, and where's an ideal place to find it. Pictures (of the enemy and Kirby using the ability) would really make this page pop. You also have a "Friend Abilities" subsection title right below the "Friend Abilities" section title which isn't necessary.

Picture Pieces: This section looks great, I'm hard-pressed to suggest what to add here aside from maybe a screenshot showing exactly where the piece is located. You have the duplicate subsection title thing here again, though.

Big Switches: See above, exact same comment and duplication problem.

Version/Legal: These are fine and of course no one really cares to look at these. I usually combine them onto a single page, personally.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

Krystal109
4 months ago#48
SBAllen posted...
Basics: I would honestly scrap this whole page as there's nothing of value on it. With no content, this would just put "Basics" in the ToC but make it unclickable, letting the reader click into whichever subsection they want. The subsections look fine as-is.

Walkthrough: Again, this page is devoid of content and doesn't need to be there. Delete the content and let it just be a navigational tool in the ToC.

Either delete these sections and add the text somewhere else or make your guide display Sections, not Sections and Subsections. This will allow those pages to be longer and won't cut the page off at every header.

SBAllen posted...
World of Miracles - Planet Popstar: I'm not really sure what's going on at the start. There's an image with just text in it (that's super hard to read) and the text is mostly duplicated in the paragraph underneath it. There's also some of that running commentary I mentioned about your BotW guide in here (things like "I actually died more than twice here." that don't really offer up anything to the reader).

Agree. Get rid of the text or the image... If you are going to use text in an image, make sure it is a readable font.

SBAllen posted...
Friend Abilities: Seems like a good start, but honestly feels lacking in terms of usefulness.

Hopefully, once you flesh this page out it will be more useful.

SBAllen posted...
Picture Pieces: This section looks great, I'm hard-pressed to suggest what to add here aside from maybe a screenshot showing exactly where the piece is located. You have the duplicate subsection title thing here again, though.

Big Switches: See above, exact same comment and duplication problem.

Remember that when you create a section or sub sections, the guide will generate a header from the text in the pages' title. There is no need for you to place a H4 in the actual page, which will result in these duplicate headers, so just start writing the text that you want to appear under the header.

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
4 months ago#49
@GfaqCodebreak your third chapter in the walkthrough is just as barebones as the second. Furthermore I didn't notice before but it looks like the walkthrough videos aren't actually your own work? Considering that the bulk of the content of these walkthrough pages seem to be the videos, this seems particularly bad/lazy.

Also when auditing some of your other guides, I noticed there are multiple sections about non-FFXV games in the FFXV walkthrough. Could you please remove those? I tend to not put much scrutiny into guide updates from known contributors after the first few but it looks like you just added a ton of bloat to the FFXV guide so I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on your guide updates, it would seem.
"Um, let's face it, you'd be better off staying at the Hilton."
http://facebook.com/GFAQS | http://twitter.com/GameFAQs

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
4 months ago#50
@SBAllen posted...
@GfaqCodebreak your third chapter in the walkthrough is just as barebones as the second. Furthermore I didn't notice before but it looks like the walkthrough videos aren't actually your own work? Considering that the bulk of the content of these walkthrough pages seem to be the videos, this seems particularly bad/lazy.

Also when auditing some of your other guides, I noticed there are multiple sections about non-FFXV games in the FFXV walkthrough. Could you please remove those? I tend to not put much scrutiny into guide updates from known contributors after the first few but it looks like you just added a ton of bloat to the FFXV guide so I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on your guide updates, it would seem.

Just a heads-up - not sure if you saw my post in his topic on this board - but this is also true for his Breath of the Wild guide to my recollection. Might be true for others of his as well, too lazy to look at the moment.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/V7hzcXd
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors - FAQs and Guides
  3. I just got a weird no recommendation...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived