• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I saw two guys this weekend; which should I judge more harshly?

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
4 months ago#1
Guy #1
At the New York Botanical Garden, which is having a display of works by the exuberant sculptor and painter Yayoi Kusama, my wife and I were walking down a path that runs parallel to the path around the water feature in the Native Plant Garden (in which one of the installations was situated). I think it was marked "mountain laurel path," and indeed there were various flowering tangly bushes, including some azaleas that were in bloom (and groundcover in bloom, and many other plants in various stages; you know, a garden). The guy stopped me and said "hey is there anything interesting up there?" I said "There's like... plants yeah," and began working out how to articulate which were in bloom, but he held his hand up, made a tsking noise, and broke at full speed away from the path we were coming down.

The path is perhaps 150 feet in length.

Guy #2
This guy was wearing a Lacoste branded face mask.

That's the whole story. But peel back the layers of the Lacoste branded face mask. Yes, it means that you have an immoderate interest in status-affirming polo shirts, and that's one fault that you've chosen to advertise. But think about the mask and what it means as a fashion statement, what an opportunity it was. For most people, the mask is a new class of garment, one that has urgent and temporally bounded characteristics that offer an unusual level of stylistic freedom. With the mask, so much "undesirable" whimsy can be attributed to hasty construction: I know I have a couple that someone's mom's friend made out of what used to be the bottom of a playpen or something. At the same time, masks are if not temporary, temporally fixed, with the intrinsic quality of having been made to address a crisis, of their meaning being discernible, in some sense, only through the lens of the crisis. We must respect the fashion and design choices made by the mask wearer; what else are they to do, but to make the best of the mask? What can we do but make beauty in the cracks of the crisis that admit lightness and humanity? Masks have complete plausible deniability in terms of interesting design--even now, I think, you could wear the zaniest thing and say "ah, sorry, I got this one back when there was a shortage and that's why there's a giraffe on it. And I do like giraffes." It's as though everyone had license to wear a bow tie, and a solid 40% of the population took that bow tie ball and ran with it.

But then you have the guy in the Lacoste mask.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
4 months ago#2
Clearly guy #1. He was rude and seemed to be deeply confused about what public botanical gardens are for. As for guy #2, I think you relinquish the privilege of sneering at people for wearing status signals as soon as you start to take fashion seriously yourself.
I mean, we tried.

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
4 months ago#3
Agree with Kodi

User Info: AkumaMatata

AkumaMatata
4 months ago#4
agree with kodi

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 months ago#5
With Kodi, I agree
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: zztman5

zztman5
4 months ago#6
Me.
Ryan Stiles: Blue Suede Shoes?
Colin Mochrie: ...nice pants? - Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Song Titles

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock
4 months ago#7
I wasn’t even sure what lacoste was before googling it, so guy 1 for sure.
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
4 months ago#8
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
4 months ago#9
Cool good talk
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 months ago#10
Shoulda made this a poll. But then, I suppose, we'd all have fewer posts, and as you know, it's about the posting.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I saw two guys this weekend; which should I judge more harshly?
  • Topic Archived