• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Convince me that the looting and arson in Minneapolis is good.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 month ago#21
Interesting article. I found this bit interesting, in light of the pandemic:

"There is some evidence that geological disasters do more economic harm than climate-related disasters, in the long term. Geological disasters, such as landslides and earthquakes, happen with little immediate warning and kill many people. Climate-related disasters, such as hurricanes, are more predictable on a scale of days to hours, and kill fewer people.[9][12] Such warning saves people, but not immovable property.[13] This suggests that killing people does long-lasting economic harm, while destroying capital is not as harmful to GDP growth."
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 month ago#22
This might only be tangentially related at best but I also didn't think another topic was necessarily relevant.

I stayed up until around 2 AM this morning following and also trying to catch up on what was happening around some of the major protest epicenters in the US.

I've had a mentally exhausting week filled with comparatively minor problems. Not having proper work and life separation exacerbated by needing to send out documents to people before the late evening but not being able to do so until at least early evening because I needed to wait for responses. That kind of bureaucratic bulls***.

And then after that, throughout every day and into every evening, having the growing and creeping awareness of continued injustice, violence, murder, inaction, willful ignorance (and many more, the list goes on), just sort hanging in the air like a fog with the weight of an elephant clogging up the last handful of mental pathways that I felt I had this week.

It's become progressively more exhausting to know that I live in a world that has such a gigantic and systemic gap of empathy (at all levels and implementations) and live in a world that has enough people in powerful positions that have never had to and likely will never act in a way that serves anything more than themselves.

I don't wish to go back to a more optimistic time or to go back to any time that covered up these societal deficiencies, because I think that would be hiding from all of these problems in a "I'm going to look at the flowers until everyone stops yelling at each other" kind of solution.

But I do wish for the waves of drastic systemic change that rewards empathy over selfishness.

This isn't coherent, but it is how I've been feeling and responding to seeing everything. I'm tired of being shown, time and time again, selfishness winning over empathy.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
1 month ago#23
It's tangentially related, sure, but all of this is interconnected and related. It's an entire system of dominoes, as Trevor Noah put it.

I don't think you are alone in feeling that cynicism and disappointment, of being sick of selfishness beating empathy. I think many many people have started feeling this way since 2016.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#24
Kodiologist posted...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window (confusingly, unrelated to the broken-windows theory of policing)

This part:
It is not seen that as our shopkeeper has spent six francs upon one thing, he cannot spend them upon another. It is not seen that if he had not had a window to replace, he would, perhaps, have replaced his old shoes, or added another book to his library. In short, he would have employed his six francs in some way, which this accident has prevented.

In no way applies to Target, an entity of pure vampirism: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/target-declares-share-buyback-plan-135001825.html
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
1 month ago#25
I guess the broader Keynesian objection to that argument (that the shopkeeper with an unbroken window would spend his money on something else) is that the rich tend to sit on a lot of their wealth like a dragon slumbering in its hoard instead of spending it, which is one problem with trickle-down economics in general.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#26
"He would, perhaps, have replaced his old shoes, or paid commissions to a hedge fund in excess of the gains he realized over those from an alternative scenario in which he bought into an index fund."
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Convince me that the looting and arson in Minneapolis is good.
  • Post New Message