• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Ikoria sucks though

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 week ago#1
Right guys? Like it just completely crapped on the meta? I can't win now until I get cards, and my ability to get cards is hampered by not winning.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#2
I kind of haven't played since I opened a couple of packs and tried to build the kind of deck you don't have to pay for and couldn't actually play at all.

It seems fun to draft? I want to draft but like as a social activity with friends I like and not as a competitive activity with strangers on the internet.

We could do a draft by mail. Take one card mail the rest.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

HeyDude
1 week ago#3
I'd do that. Although maybe we should like... do that digitally

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
1 week ago#4
I have no idea what this is about but I want to be supportive
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

HeyDude
1 week ago#5
lol, Ikoria is a set that recently came out for Magic the Gathering. It has changed the game a surprising amount.
I've been enjoying Ikoria, but it's just about getting old. Now is the time in the format lifecycle where I start playing more cube, chaos drafts, and other exotic formats that aren't the current latest draft set.

willis5225
1 week ago#7
James and I did a Pack War recently that was pretty fun.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

willis5225
1 week ago#8
That was the fairy tale set? Or did we draft that?
-Mimir

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 week ago#9
We drafted the fairy tale set. Pack wars we did with...I wanna say Ixalan.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)
During Theros Beyond Death I played a tournament in a really interesting format: Pai Gow into Sealed.

Pai Gow Magic is a form of one-pack magic with the following rules:
1. Crack a 15-card pack. Arrange the contents into five piles of exactly 3 cards each.
2. You will play a best-3-our-of-5 match against your opponent. Each game will be one of your 3-card piles chosen at random against one of their 3-card piles. Once a pile is used, it's set aside, so each pile will be used once.
3. Your 3-card pile is your opening hand. Your library is empty.
4. You don't lose from drawing a card from an empty library.
5. The starting life total for each player is 5.
6. You always have access to as much mana as you want of whatever type you want.
7. Traditionally for Pai Gow Magic the player who completed their piles first takes the first turn in the first game; for the tournament I played, it was decided randomly. After that, each game the loser of the previous game gets to choose whether to play first or second.
And that's Pai Gow Magic! It's a pretty interesting format and there's a more in-depth exploration of it here: https://www.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/articles/pai-gow-magic/

As you might imagine, Pai Gow really changes how good some card are. Mana cost is no longer an issue, two-card combos become more powerful, and anything that lets you potentially win turn 1 (like a 5/1 haste creature) becomes a bomb. Meanwhile card draw is basically useless, as is a late-game mechanic like Escape.

The tournament I played added a twist: Players would open six packs, one at a time, and play six rounds of Pai Gow each against a different opponent. The winner of each match gets to claim one of the loser's losing three-card piles (draws happen fairly frequently in Pai Gow and if the match is a draw, no one takes any cards). After the six rounds, take the cards you have and play a Sealed deck tournament with those. Normal 40-card rules for Sealed, except of course that your card pool can either gain or lose 3 cards each round.

This tournament was a lot of fun. It's a very deep format where two packs that differ by even one or two cards might have very different strategic considerations for how the piles should be divided. When quarantine is over I'm really hoping the same group hosts more tournaments of this style.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Ikoria sucks though
  • Post New Message