• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I signed up for a free trial of Broadway HD.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 week ago#11
Today I watched Memphis, Victor/Victoria, and Bye Bye Birdie, the latter two being the movies (BBB being the 1995 movie - I didn't know Jason Alexander could sing!)

Memphis was really good, but none of the songs stuck out to me, though that may just be a consequence of watching too many shows back to back and not letting them linger. Victor/Victoria was quite funny. BBB was fine. Enjoyable, but nothing special.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

Jacehan
1 week ago#12
The next shows I watched were 42nd Street, Gypsy, Kiss Me Kate, and She Loves Me, all of which I could write up about if anyone wants to know.

Tomorrow's the last day of the trial, where I'll probably squeeze in Jesus Christ Superstar and Carousel.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#13
Someone put together like 1/3 of a Muppets Jesus Christ Superstar which was pretty tight
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#14
So I thought I posted in this topic already but apparently I haven't. Back when my sister was in high school they did Oklahoma! for their musical one year and I remember their reaction at first was "what the hell is this, why" but she said by the end of it that they found it extremely fun to do.

Either the year before or the year after, they did Hello, Dolly which thinking back on it, strikes me as a show that might just barely be too saucy for a high school production, but also not really.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

Jacehan
1 week ago#15
I've seen Hello, Dolly and don't think it's too saucy for high school? At least, I guess, not in modern times. It's certainly no Spring Awakening!

Oklahoma! seems like a show that's more fun to do than to watch.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
1 week ago#16
Jacehan posted...
more fun to do than to watch

This is my impression of musical theater in general. I'm not interested in watching any, but I can definitely see the appeal of beltin' it out to a captive audience.

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#17
I think I'm projecting here because I do remember the handful of years back where the drama teacher scaled back/censored some of the scenes from the stage version of Grease because it felt nebulously too saucy for our sleepy little town, so I would have thought Hello Dolly might have fallen into the same category somehow. But yeah by modern standards it is certainly very tame.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

Jacehan
6 days ago#18
Watched Jesus Christ Superstar today, which was a recording of the Arena tour, which was very clearly how it was meant to be staged, as a huge rock concert, and not a Broadway show, so that was a good choice.
Paper Mario Social:
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I signed up for a free trial of Broadway HD.
  • Post New Message