• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I signed up for a free trial of Broadway HD.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#1
I watched the filmed stage version of Cats that was put on Youtube for free this weekend and I wanted to see what other shows I could watch. BroadwayHD has a bunch and a 7-day free trial. I went through and wrote down 17 that I was interested in, so I'm not sure I'll actually be able to get through them all. (I started one tonight [Falsettos] and turned it off 25 minutes in because I didn't like it, then switch to The King and I, which I enjoyed. So, two down.)
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 weeks ago#2
That sounds like a good way to experience Broadway (being able to turn it off after 25 minutes without feeling like you've wasted like $150). 'Cause let me tell you I have sat through some lackluster spectacles because I am damned well going to see Daniel Radcliffe tap dance for the full three hours after those ticketmaster fees.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

willis5225
2 weeks ago#3
...immediately after posting that I turned to Katie and was like "oh it's been a while since we went to a show, do you want to check--" and then realized what I was saying.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#4
So I guess you can finish that sentence with "...out BroadwayHD's free trial?"

Luckily I never pay full price because I always go through TDF, but even those discounted prices can be a lot. I do wonder, though, if that show would have gotten better and I'll never know because it started rough and I ended it. There was plenty of shows that pull it together after a rough start.
Paper Mario Social:

Jacehan
1 week ago#5
Now I'm watching Billy Elliot (I'm in the intermission, paused to play some board games). I vaguely knew the premise of the story (boy wants to do ballet when family/society disapproves) but I didn't realize it was about class warfare. (I assumed the reason they were against ballet was because of gender norms, which, of course, is part of it, but it's also the idea that it's just entertainment for high class people, who they all hate.)
Paper Mario Social:

willis5225
1 week ago#6
I think ballet dancing is also super low class? Like you don't let your children become theater people because it's declasse and they won't live well.
-Mimir

Jacehan
1 week ago#7
Right, it's entertainment for high class people, but the dancers themselves are not considered high class (unless they are a prima, I suppose) - so it's yet one more way the high class takes advantage. (The whole thing is set during the Miners' Strike in the 80s, so it also has clashes between cops and picket lines and such, and a song called "Solidarity" which is a real jam.)
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 week ago#8
Frankly that sounds quite compelling.

Jacehan
1 week ago#9
It was. I would give Billy Elliot a strong recommendation.

My second show of the day was Oklahoma! from 1999 with Hugh Jackman, who was definitely looking cute then. The show is alright - it definitely feels like a dated show, which makes sense as it is one of the first shows that fit the form of what we think of as a book musical.
Paper Mario Social:

Jacehan
1 week ago#10
Today's two shows were "Pippin" and "The Last Five Years" (which was actually the movie version, not the stage show).

Pippin is weird. It's ostensibly about the son of Charlemagne but it's really a show about being a show - it's very meta and fourth-wall breaky. I think I liked it overall but probably needed to pay better attention to it.

The Last Five Years has a fairly uninteresting story (the story of a relationship between an author on the rise and an actress who is struggling, from start to marriage to dissolution) but it's the structure that makes it interesting - it's really a bunch of solos except for two duets in the middle, but her songs start from the end and go backwards while his start from the beginning and go forwards. It shows both sides of the story but breaking up the scenes so it's not all brightness into gloom, and not the same things back to back from the other point of view. Don't know how I feel about it, but the songs were catchy and everything went along nicely.
Paper Mario Social:
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I signed up for a free trial of Broadway HD.
  • Post New Message