• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I don't like this Bill Gates hate
The thing that sticks in my mind about Bill Gates is that he has given away most of the amount of money he had when he stopped working for money, but he is still almost twice as wealthy as he was when he stopped working. He's more or less given away half his income but he's still almost the richest person on the planet.

1. How measurably different would Bill Gates' lifestyle be if he had $150 billion than the $100 billion he has? Dedicating your life and fortune to philanthropy seems like a much easier decision when practically speaking it doesn't cost you anything.
2. Sitting on piles of invested money is probably the most effective way Bill Gates has to generate lots of money for charities, which I guess says more about how f’d up our economic system is than it does about Bill Gates.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#12
Oh so I didn't understand what you were talking about with regard to Bill Gates Hate until I saw a meme that reads "Hey Bill Gates! We've got a cure for you!" and it's a watermarked stock photo of a syringe with a large caliber bullet at the end.

And yes, that is distressing and weird.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#13
DontInterruptMe posted...

2. Sitting on piles of invested money is probably the most effective way Bill Gates has to generate lots of money for charities, which I guess says more about how f’d up our economic system is than it does about Bill Gates.

As James pointed out while discussing some meme on discord, basically all wealth built since the industrial revolution has stemmed from declining to realize the externalities of whatever industry you're investing in, so we've got that going for us.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
willis5225 posted...
Oh so I didn't understand what you were talking about with regard to Bill Gates Hate until I saw a meme that reads "Hey Bill Gates! We've got a cure for you!" and it's a watermarked stock photo of a syringe with a large caliber bullet at the end.

And yes, that is distressing and weird.
One of my conservative Jesusy cousins (that I have now because apparently you start accruing those when you become an American) shared a meme a couple of days ago comparing Bill Gates and Dr. Fauci to Nazis, and I am increasingly disturbed by what that side of the family is posting.

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
1 week ago#15
Godwin's law remains an important thread tying the ancient days of early Usenet culture to the latest tweets and Facebookings.

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 week ago#16
Well, I won't discount what James has said, but the conspiracy-theories hate is pretty wild and ridiculous.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 week ago#17
Yeah, I wasn't really familiar with all that hate, as I haven't come across it on my parts of the Internet. I don't even hate him, I just think he should stick to things he actually knows about.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#18
My impression is that I'm generally wary of "Hey everyone, I have a lot of money and would like to throw my ideas and money at this problem to see if I can solve it."

My only experience with this in the context of Bill Gates was a measure having to do with charter schools in WA state and walking through pros and cons with a friend who was unfamiliar with what the idea of charter schools are. I don't remember which way we might have landed after having that discussion, but I do remember walking away from that discussion generally more distrustful of people who said they had money and a solution to global problems. I think that impression was born from not having enough information (or perceived access to information, which may or may not have been a thing in 2011.)

I think this is why (or at least one reason) on a much larger level I have so much rage and distrust of Elon Musk, who will wade into things like the Thai cave rescue with nothing but money, an idea, and disdain for actual experts (as I understood his perspective on the Thai cave rescue to be), and yet will garner support of some segment of the public precisely because he is good at being a generally influential person.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I don't like this Bill Gates hate
  • Post New Message