• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I don't like this Bill Gates hate

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#1
The guy has been deep diving into save-the-world projects for years and all these people are acting like it's some kind of nefarious thing. What the heck, people??

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#2
He should stick to saving the world about things he actually knows about. As a NYC teacher, I experienced first hard the deleterious effects of his foundation on education policy. Go away Bill Gates.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#3
Can you tell me a little about that?

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#4
There's a lot to it, but the biggest one was his push for "small schools" which broke up most of the major high schools in New York, pushing out experienced teachers who were expensive to hire for the new small schools that didn't have large budgets, ballooning the amount of administration compared to teachers eating into those budgets because now you have 4x as many principals, etc, and cutting the resources of all the schools so they can't have clubs or sports or classes that aren't the core classes because they don't have enough students to have those things.
Paper Mario Social:

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#5
Aw, yuck. That does sound bad. Is there an upside or no?

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#6
The supposed upside is that people are more likely to know each and other and so students won't "fall through the cracks" because some adult in the building will notice and take care. While that's kinda true, if they don't have the resources to help, it doesn't really work out that way.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 weeks ago#7
In my case, it's very much not Bill Gates hate (he's playing the game and all that, and he's playing it way more compassionately than most) but Andrew Cuomo hate. We have a very deep well of expertise about our particular situation (look there's some ITT) and an enormous tax base to draw from. I rag on Columbia Teacher's College a lot and well deservedly, but behind the grifting there's an actual world class institution of educational experts with very specific ideas about how to spend money to improve schools. We could very easily establish a commission through normal governmental channels that gets its power and funding through the institutions we hold in common and answers to voters and constituents.

But that doesn't get headlines, so instead we're calling the guy you call when you want to eradicate polio in a generational warzone bleeding from the wounds of colonialism. We are the financial powerhouse of the richest nation in the history of the human race.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#8
James, I'm sorry it's worked out poorly. Will, I think, brings up a good point, in that the government does choose whether or not to adopt recommendations from Gates.

James, what do you think ought to have been done?

User Info: freepizza

freepizza
2 weeks ago#9
Thanks to his portrayal in the TNT special Pirates of Silicon Valley, I can never hate Bill Gates.
"...you should try reading my posts being getting all emo." --FoxMetal

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
2 weeks ago#10
Years ago, somebody complained on a free-software subreddit about Reddit's general eageriness to lick Bill Gates's boots, and the poster got a lot of pushback along the lines of "he's fighting malaria, what have you done?". That was remarkable amnesia considering how public Microsoft's software skullduggery was in the 90s, and how the free-software community in particular was appaled by it. There is an attitude that if billionaires spent a lot of money on charity, then the ethically questionable means by which they acquired the billions, and the social conditions that made billionairehood possible, shouldn't be questioned. I believe the term for this is "neoliberalism".
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I don't like this Bill Gates hate
  • Post New Message