• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. okay add me on Magic Arena if you play it

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#11
Is there an article about it that isn't a 20 minute video?
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#12
Jacehan posted...
Is there an article about it that isn't a 20 minute video?
haha I thought the same... I will spend 30 minutes reading something that I wouldn't spend 11 minutes watching

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#13
James I watched the video. SaffronOlive's opinion is yes, Companion is the worst mechanic of all time because every card with it is a format staple, and it's impossible to interact with.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 weeks ago#14
I was having a slow morning and put it on at 1.25x but it remains a shameful waste of work time, it's true.

To those very compelling arguments, I would add:
1) It's a tutor effect, often for a staple of the deck. It would be one thing if a companion were Savanna Lions, but these are highly contextual effects that you can play whenever the context is just right.

2) The deckbuilding requirements encourage more homogenization and make the metagame substantially less diverse and interesting. Literally the opposite of Wizards's core principles for set design.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
Companion does seem to be a really damaging mechanic for Constructed, which is a shame because it's been pretty interesting in Limited! At least in Draft and Sealed, the deckbuilding restrictions can make for some interesting choices, especially with companions like Yorion or Gyruda that are very powerful but force you to warp your draft pretty meaningfully.

And in Limited, since you almost certainly don't have a real combo deck, the play patterns don't get nearly as repetitive. If anything, I think 90% of the companions lead to less repetitive gameplay than the degenerate cycling deck you can put together from a lot of very interchangeable cards.

I really wouldn't mind seeing more companions in Limited in some future format, so I wonder if there's a compromise where Companion the mechanic can be banned in most Constructed formats but still played with in Limited?

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#16
Shai, I love what you said about degenerate cycling. That really captures how I feel about cycling as well lol.

willis5225
2 weeks ago#17
Oh neat. I would have thought companions would be just too hard to integrate, especially if you pulled one in a third pack. (I've also only played with Gyruda, so maybe the others are easier to slip in.)

I also do not like the degenerate cycling deck at all. They are the reason I have only ever played with Gyruda.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
Drafting around most companions is pretty easy if you open them early. Yorion is a little tricky but is helped by all the random generic mana cycling cards floating around, as is Zirda. Lurrus is basically a draft archetype on its own but it's pretty possible to make it work. Most companions are various levels of harder to integrate if you open them in pack 2 or 3, so you often have to make the decision whether to take lower power level cards that make the companion work vs. higher power level cards and just play the companion in your deck. Sometimes it's an easy decision based on how your draft's shaped up, but sometimes it's really close and interesting, which I think is part of what makes the companions good for limited.

willis5225
2 weeks ago#19
Oh right yeah, you can actually play them like spells. That *is* interesting
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. okay add me on Magic Arena if you play it
  • Post New Message