• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Quarantine hobbies

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 weeks ago#11
The etymology is clear as day! "Enormousness" is an impostor word best dispatched quietly in the night.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
22 hours ago#12
I can officially add 'sudoku variants' to my list of new quarantine hobbies, largely powered by this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC-UOdK8-mIjxBQm_ot1T-Q

willis5225
3 hours ago#13
My wife and I have been talking about what does and doesn't constitute a hobby ever since a co-worker complained that she doesn't have any hobbies with which to pass the time. Some candidates we went through:
  • Hiking/outdoorsiness is not a hobby, because it is not a unitary activity (exercise + sightseeing + the experience of pure being)
  • Reading is not a hobby because it is not a unitary experience
  • Climbing is not a hobby, because it is a sport
  • Crossword puzzles are a hobby
  • Original artwork is not a hobby, because it is an art
  • Making a useful object (e.g. bread) is not a hobby, because it is a craft
  • Putting together a miniature kit you bought on the internet is a hobby
  • Blogging might be a hobby
  • Board games are a hobby, except when they're very simple games that are a mere backdrop for social interaction (e.g. Guildes)
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
Wil, I think I use the word 'hobby' much more liberally because I would potentially consider all of those things you listed to be hobbies, as long as they are done at least partially for enjoyment, rather than just money or physical health or to use the finished product for something practical.

willis5225
3 hours ago#15
I respect that.
  • Quibbling about what is and is not a hobby is not a hobby because it is Doing Natural Philosophy
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 hour ago#16
DontInterruptMe posted...
Wil, I think I use the word 'hobby' much more liberally because I would potentially consider all of those things you listed to be hobbies, as long as they are done at least partially for enjoyment, rather than just money or physical health or to use the finished product for something practical.

I think I land squarely here and would mark all of the listed things as "hobbies" (and more significant hobbies than "I listen to music" or "I watch a lot of Netflix")
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 hour ago#17
Reading that list was a hobby.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
39 minutes ago#18
All of the things in your list can be doing as a profession, which would make them not a hobby. Thus it is the intention/result of the action, and not the action itself, that determines what a hobby is.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Quarantine hobbies
  • Post New Message