• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Conventional vs. unconventional names

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
3 weeks ago#1
With "X Æ A-12" trending, the questions of children's names resurges. What do you think makes a good name for a newborn? Something classic? Unique? Sentimental? Are you trying to not get them bullied in school for being different, or do you trust that by the time they're in kindergarten there'll be two other Chainsaws in their class?

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 weeks ago#2
I guess I'm a traditionalist. Benjamin Harris, Lily Rose, Abigail Sophia, and Evelynne Ruth.

I think what makes a good name is consistency with the family aesthetic. If you're Frank Zappa, I guess Moon Unit is a good name. If you're Alex Woods, then the names I picked are good. It'd be weird of me to name my kid Chainsaw and then raise him or her really traditionally.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 weeks ago#3
I genuinely believe this thing I'm about to say that will sound like I am joking. I think you should name your child something that has clear but limited phonic resonance with its parents' names, and should then be continued down the generations. Like William + Kathryn should result in children's names like:
  • Willthor
  • Kathelm
  • Throthulf
To a certain extent these are joke examples, but I'm kind of serious about the general principle supposing that it works along with philological forebears like:
  • Katrilda
  • Willohrafn
I'm sorry I'm incapable of having this conversation in a serious mode
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 weeks ago#4
I don't know how common it is in other cultures, but I do know in Filipino culture it's definitely a thing for parents to mash together their names in order to create the names of one or more of their children.

I'm going to borrow examples from Wikipedia, all of which sound completely plausible to me:
  • Maria + Carlos = Malolos
  • Elvin + Liza = Elliza
  • Marino + Erlinda = Marinerl
Or like, I knew a girl named Fredolin and I wouldn't be surprised if her parents' names are Frederick and Evelyn or something like that. Or we met another guy named Adelbert and we didn't know that was a German name but ALSO would not have been surprised if his parents' names were Adelyn and Norbert.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

willis5225
3 weeks ago#5
This is also a Burmese thing except they try to make it sound like a common noun (personal interview, n=1)
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
3 weeks ago#6
I would only give a baby an established, preexisting name (albeit hopefully one that isn't extremely common). If they want to choose a sillier name for themself later in life, like I and my mom did, they're welcome to do that, but I wouldn't want to foist a name like "Elminster" upon them from the very beginning,

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#7
I feel like I would probably looked up the top 1000 names that the SSA keeps a list of every year and pick something towards the bottom. So, like, it's not too uncommon, but not too common either.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: roytheswordguy

roytheswordguy
3 weeks ago#8
I ended up naming my kids Rocko and Daria, after two of the best cartoons of the 90s. The names aren't too weird and yet are unique enough to be remembered by their classmates. Perfectly balanced, etc.
IRL nub.
Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't 'cause that's just the way she goes.

User Info: freepizza

freepizza
3 weeks ago#9
Rocko... hell yeah
"...you should try reading my posts being getting all emo." --FoxMetal

willis5225
3 weeks ago#10
I'm still haunted by the time in high school I asked Rocko what that was short for and he had no idea what I was asking. Turns out it's just a legit Italian name!
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Conventional vs. unconventional names
  • Post New Message