• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How long do you think GameFAQs will last?

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
1 week ago#1
GameFAQs hasn't just been around a long time (25 years as of this November); it's also an example of how the Web used to be. Once, the best resource for video-game tips was single-authored text files on GameFAQs. For new games, it's usually a wiki, perhaps on Wikia. And once, mass text-based communication happened on message boards. Now, most of it happens on a few massive social-networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 week ago#2
Kodiologist posted...
For new games, it's usually a wiki, perhaps on Wikia.

Is it really though? I often just find that I can't actually find the resources I need for a new game, and often the best place to look is still GameFAQs (though often on the message board, and sometimes a subreddit will do instead).

Although, I mean, now we have more PMS convos on the discord than here.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#3
Yeah I often have better luck on the subreddit. It seems setting up a Wikia is now a thing publishers do, but they don't populate it beyond, say, listing every item, location, and character, then hoping that fans fill in the blanks.

The thing about ca. 2000 GameFAQs is that a lot of that early content wasn't written by that single author, it was compiled by that single author. The information was coming from a Prima guide or an issue of Nintendo Power or some other kind of high quality published source. That paid content was getting boiled down and mixed with firsthand experience into a Walkthrough.

The contemporary equivalent of a .txt FAQ isn't a wikia; it's a sponsored or otherwise monetized Let's Play. (Or whatever stream/video people are putting up.)

On yet another hand, without video or uh content the overhead on GameFAQs has to be negligible.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#4
Oh I cut out several of the hands, but not the part that referred to all the hands I was talking about. That's unfortunate.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock
1 week ago#5
If it’s a detailed FAQ, it’s generally faster to CTRL+F the answer than find it in a video. But videos have their place. For example, sometimes it’s more efficient to see how to dodge a boss’s attacks than read about it. If the fan base is dedicated enough, the wiki often is also a good source as well.
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How long do you think GameFAQs will last?
  • Post New Message