• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How's your reading going?

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 month ago#1
I looked back at my Goodreads account and realized I had read a bunch of books in the beginning of last year, but hadn't read anything since July, so I figured I should probably get back on that habit.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
1 month ago#2
My favorite podcasters are starting a read-through + analysis of the Dark Tower series, so I figured I should actually pick up a copy of Gunslinger and finally read it.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
4 weeks ago#3
I'm not reading anything, right now. I'm in a book club but I'm on temporary hiatus from it. We've read Circe, Unwind, 1984, Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I liked Circe and 1984 a lot.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 weeks ago#4
Who is Circe by?
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
4 weeks ago#5
It's by Madeline Miller. It's quite fantastic.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
4 weeks ago#6
I have her book about Achilles and Patroclus. I enjoyed parts of it a lot but it's weird to read it as a classicist. It's about the forbidden love between them, but like... it wouldn't have been forbidden or rather to the degree it was forbidden it would have been in a much more nuanced and interesting way?

And that would be totally fine except that I picked up the book specifically because her bio listed her as a professor of Classics at Bryn Mawr. So like she knew and had access to a much more interesting take and then declined it but still pitched it as a novel written with scholarly expertise? I realize that I am the only one who will approach the book in this way.

Anyway I most recently read The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. It's pretty fan-servicey for people who like books as a concept, and I'm fine with that. It's a fresh, more challenging take on Neil Gaiman's patented schtick.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How's your reading going?
  • Post New Message