• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Frames for pictures and art objects are a lingering problem I have

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#1
Frames are too expensive, or perhaps they cost the right amount and I think they're a ridiculous frivolity. Nonetheless, Big Frame has convinced Society that we need to frame all the art objects. If I pay $15 at the whatever festival to support the artist who made the print, why am I paying like $40 to the Duane Reade for a picture frame? That doesn't make any sense, and I certainly shouldn't pay $85 to Frame Bridge!

I found a stopgap measure in dollar store frames, but the dollar store only has a couple of styles of frame at a given time. If you space it out like six months, they'll have new ones, but otherwise you risk having all the same frames around your art objects that differ significantly from one another in tone.

Now I need to go get three 8x10 frames and two 5x5 frames, and I'm not even sure those sizes exist in dollar store form, let alone whether the styles available at the dollar store will be conducive to the kinds of art these are. I have no solutions.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 month ago#2
Ever since adopting the idea that every January or February I try to pick up home decor / home upgrade, this has been an issue for me as well. I've found that Target sometimes has frames at a reasonable cost:price ratio, and they recently bumped up their quality of their "lower tier" frames, so that's helped me select them as a go-to.

But yeah, frames are expensive AF and I'm not here for it.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 month ago#3
One of my favorite math lessons has to do with how frames are stupid expensive: http://fawnnguyen.com/got-beg/
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

willis5225
1 month ago#4
As I mentioned from time to time, my dear mother is an avid quilter (go ahead and report me for spam, I dare you: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DearestBoy )

and yeah, she had to figure out framing and that sort of thing in a pre-internet era, having been educated in a time when she was strongly discouraged from taking STEM classes because girls in the 60s don't need them. I remember being like 6 and sitting there as we were both like "what the hell why doesn't this angle work?"

All of this is an explanation and not an excuse, Frame Industry. You're not Pythagoras trying to figure out right angles and discouraging the consumption of beans.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 month ago#5
I really liked that frame math lesson. Math pedagogy is a fun topic.

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
1 month ago#6
I use https://www.frameusa.com/ for frames that, while not dollar store cheap, are not quite so exorbitantly expensive as other places I've seen.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to frame a 50cm by 70cm painting at a local shop and it cost $140 after their 50% off custom framing Black Friday discount. FrameUSA had a custom frame within 1/4 of an inch for $43 after delivery (I intend to stuff the gap with craft foam). Still not dirt cheap exactly but much less.

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 month ago#7
This is a strong tip. January and February are when I buy home stuff so this is good for me.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

willis5225
1 month ago#8
Yeah that's a solid referral. I like how their logo is reminiscent of the USAA one, like it's a framing service for active duty military and their families, and that's why it's so reasonable.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Frames for pictures and art objects are a lingering problem I have
  • Post New Message