• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. PMS Detroit was great

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#1
Pictures to follow. Gerry, Jakob, James, Jon, Mark... thanks so much for making it a very special weekend. I enjoyed each and every one of you and your company. Especially I appreciated how easy-going everybody was.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ehtybd7vNW1YVpZc9

Short summary... James arrived Friday morning and spent some time meandering in the city before I picked him up around noon in my new-to-me minivan. We drove and picked up some Gamecube controllers and the adapter for them, then headed to my house, where we just hung out a bit. Then we got Thai lunch at Bangkok Cafe in Ferndale, and went to pick up Jon and Gerry. We headed to the grocery store where Jon magically knew exactly what he wanted to buy and to cook, then headed back to my house and they cooked while I cleaned (pics in album). PMS: Domestic Edition! Jakob arrived just as we were about to eat, and ate with us. After eating the dish, which I think might have been called California fries? (it had fries as the base with chicken and guacamole on them) we played board and video games. Some that I remember were Jackbox games on Switch, Smash Bros., and Tumblestone. We played a few games and I liked them all but my favorite was Seven Wonders. Coup was also fun. I can't remember which nights we played which games.

Saturday, we went to Zingerman's Deli, one of America's best delis (just ask Oprah or Barack Obama... seriously!). It was well-loved by all. After that, Mark joined us. We went for a long walk in Kensington Metropark, encountered some potentially aggressive cranes, and of course headed home and played board and video games too. We ate Detroit-style pizza at Shield's for dinner, and almost-but-not-quite did karaoke.

Sunday we started off pretty chill. I had to drive my girlfriend to the hospital (she's okay) and then re-joined the PMSians. We ate coney dogs at Sandy's, an olde Redford establishment, played games at home where my friend Brian joined us for the afternoon and evening, and went to Flowers of Vietnam oh wait no Armando's Mexican Restaurant for dinner. "Adjacent" was the word of the evening. Example, James didn't read comics, but had spent plenty of time comics-adjacent and so knew some things about them. James put away three tamales as fast as I've ever seen and I took him to his bus station.

Monday we woke up and got ready and I dropped Gerry at the airport. Jon stayed a couple more hours, had lunch with me at Bob Evan's, and flew away, leaving me once again a solo HeyDude.

I LOVED meeting them all and will be happy to do another PMS meetup in the future!

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 weeks ago#2
Also... I AM THE KINGBIRD NOW

(see photos)

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#3
Oh no! I knew I was going to forget something! Those are my favorite octogon-shaped sunglasses.

I added the, like, 3 photos I took to that album.

I have to say, as I was riding the bus back afterwards, I felt such contentment - my heart felt full. It was a really great weekend. We should definitely have another meetup in the future.

Also, sorry to Mark for not letting you drive me to the bus station - I was more anxious than I was letting on and the 3 extra minutes to get to your car would have been cutting it too close for me.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
2 weeks ago#4
That sounded really awesome! Glad you all had a great time.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
2 weeks ago#5
My favorite comb 😭
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
2 weeks ago#6
It's been a week so I guess I should say something here also.

I think my feelings were similar to James'. My heart very much felt full and content after being able to not just meet/re-meet but also spend some good quality time with you all. We also Face Time'd with Travis and were met with the unexpected horror/hilarity of having to explain our GameFAQs history to a third party.

The thing I come away with this is that I don't think I realized how much of the history of interaction with you all has been locked away in my head and into keyboards and screens over the years. It's a little surreal to me to have actual, real confirmation that there are others in this world that have the same universe of interaction that, until relatively recently, would have been largely unshared (unless you happen to be in proximity with others from here.) As I said in posts that feature pictures that I haven't put into the album yet, it was nice to see evidence that all of that time that I spent as a young teen wasn't just typing into the void and ether of dial-up, but actual human relationships that could stand the test of time.

The recipe from Friday was born from the basis of carne asada fries, made famous and originating in San Diego (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carne_asada_fries). Instead of beef we used chicken.

I'm actually glad we didn't go to Flowers of Vietnam because I can say with almost 100% certainty that I was the only Asian person in there (working there or eating there) and that made me suspicious.

Big thanks again for hosting and here's to more to come.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#7
Oh, also, I picked up Tumblestone because it was on sale for a price less than the number of Gold Coins I had, so it was essentially free. There's so much more variation to the puzzles once you get further into story mode!
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
5 days ago#8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bufaZvhFKGPC72YX9

Here's the pic of us from the pizza place. I think it captures our energy well.

Tumblestone does get a lot more complex the deeper you get into story mode; I only wish I had the patience to practice that more complex pattern recognition!
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: BUM

BUM
3 days ago#9
Just read this. Ha, thanks James. You were generous then, to not let on your anxiety, since I was already anxious enough!
SIGNATURE
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. PMS Detroit was great
  • Post New Message