You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Why do barbers always cut my hair shorter than I ask them to?

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 month ago#1
There's a fine line between the queer haircut I'm going for and the alt-right haircut, and they always seem to push me towards the latter. Maybe that's what they think I want because I'm a white guy.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 month ago#2
You should go to a better barber that actually does what you want, maybe?

There was a lady I used to go to that I liked, and she even gave me my standard hairstyle for awhile, until she started making other "executive decisions" about my hair and then I left her behind for a different person. Found a new hair guy and he gave me a new style and actually explained what he was doing and how to take care of it; wouldn't imagine going to anyone else.

This is also sort of a non thing for me since I haven't gotten a hair cut in ages, though.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 month ago#3
Well, this is a trend with 3 different barbers now.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 month ago#4
Do you have pictures of the styles in question?

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
4 weeks ago#5
That sucks man. I met a guy through a firend who's a hair stylist, and I've been going to him for years now.

Can't say he's ever steered me wrong.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 weeks ago#6
A valuable piece of context for people who don't live in western Queens: There's a barber shop oh every five or six blocks. They all provide other services--like watch repair, CBD whatever, tech support--and they all cater to different ethnic groups. If you go to the Egyptian barber, you get an Egyptian haircut; if you go to the Albanian barber, you get an Albanian haircut. The Mexican hairdresser massages your scalp because your follicles need more oxygen, like she does for her husband every night while they watch teevee. It's a window into the rich pottage of human experience.

I can work with most Maghrebi barbers, but the best barber for James and me would be an old Mediterranean man. Unfortunately, they are retiring and selling their shops to whomever, so you can get at most two haircuts from one of them before they board the ships that bear them back to Greece or Belarus or whatever sunned elysium awaits them. Further complicating the idea of finding the correct barber is that hairdressers generally do not own the barber shop but rent a chair. They will move frequently and even sublease their chair on a day off to a friend or relative who needs to make a hundred bucks. Is that a little illegal? A little. Is that the most pressingly illegal thing our salons do? No, because a lot of them have slavery.

So what you're looking for is a shop that has a better-than-coinflip chance of leasing to someone who is used to giving the haircut you want. When you get a haircut, you need to hope that that person leased the chair, came in that day, and finished their previous haircut at the precise moment you show up, because even if there is an Italian septuagenarian, if the Mexican massage lady finishes first, she will be the one massaging your hair to a shorter length that day.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 weeks ago#7
That's real funny.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Why do barbers always cut my hair shorter than I ask them to?