You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. What's the best spice?
Does a spice need to be dry? Are there any moist spices?

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 weeks ago#12
I think cayenne is a fruit?

No seriously, because a chili is a fruit and a dried chili is a spice. I think that's legit.

Also, are there seeds that you don't dry or bake or cure before using them as a spice? I don't know of any that are widely commercially available, and I live in a place of high produce availability. Maybe that's what Chia Seeds are?

Also, DIM, the real magic of powdered aliums is using them to complement fresh. I put a pinch of dried onion flakes in most soups and sauces (after you add the liquid), and you want a sprinkle of dried garlic on those just before finishing (long enough to soak up moisture, not so long that it cooks).
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: zztman5

zztman5
3 weeks ago#13
Wait, Cayenne is a fruit?
Ryan Stiles: Blue Suede Shoes?
Colin Mochrie: ...nice pants? - Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Song Titles

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 weeks ago#14
zztman5 posted...
Wait, Cayenne is a fruit?

I'm prepared to argue this, yes.

Sidebar: My favorite Indian place (Seva off 30th avenue in Queens) used to put little fresh chilis in there if you ordered a dish hot (and I used to eat them and grow stronger from the trial of it). One winter they quit doing that and started throwing a dried chili on there, which wasn't the same at all, but in the spring the tiny fresh chilis never returned. This transition from ingredient to spice rendered the chilis unpalatable, due to their dried, papery texture, and also the stabbing pain in my right side cleared up, though that may be from less alcohol abuse also.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
willis5225 posted...
Also, DIM, the real magic of powdered aliums is using them to complement fresh. I put a pinch of dried onion flakes in most soups and sauces (after you add the liquid), and you want a sprinkle of dried garlic on those just before finishing (long enough to soak up moisture, not so long that it cooks).

Fascinating!
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. What's the best spice?