You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. What's the best spice?

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 weeks ago#1
James and I were on about this the other day, and we agreed that it's cumin.

As we all know "best" spice is a silly thing, since you're not going to eat a bowl of flavorful seeds, so let's say at the outset that what we're after is Value Over Replacement Spice Profile (VORSP). A curry or a meat rub (?) with cumin will generally be more satisfying than one categorically excludes cumin, whether or not cumin is the main thing.

Conveniently, this solves a potential dilemma around what to do with aliums. Aliums are in everything, so their VORSP is negligible, because there is no spice profile that excludes them. Now chives? They don't seem to go with cinnamon, so maybe they're a contender.

But isn't a chive an herb rather than a spice? Yeah, I dunno. I'm going cumin!
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
3 weeks ago#2
willis5225 posted...
Aliums are in everything, so their VORSP is negligible, because there is no spice profile that excludes them.

Can you really count them as a spice when much of the time they're present in non-powder form, e.g. garlic cloves or whole onions? If anything I might assign alliums a negative VORSP since often their dried, powdered form results in a worse flavor than using the fresh, whole versions.

(Assuming I actually get how VORSP works at all (which I probably don't))
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: zztman5

zztman5
3 weeks ago#3
Hunger is the best spice.
Ryan Stiles: Blue Suede Shoes?
Colin Mochrie: ...nice pants? - Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Song Titles

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 weeks ago#4
"Variety," am I right?

Cumin is a good contender in that I grew up in household that was pretty much devoid of cumin, and when I made stuff with cumin a year or so ago my dad was blown away to taste something he had not had in home cooking before. He is also a person who knows how to cook, so this was sort of a surprise to me.

This is sort of (very) boring, but I would offer up the classic salt as the best spice. Unless it's not a spice and it's an "essential."

I don't know, man. I add cayenne pepper to a lot of things I cook and I like it. Maybe it's cayenne pepper.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: GMTELigence

GMTELigence
3 weeks ago#5
Kylo Force posted...
"Variety," am I right?

Beat me to it!
Let NOTHING stand in your way.

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 weeks ago#6
It's salt, then black pepper, then basil, then cumin.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#7
Well, basil is an herb. And I wouldn't count salt, either, you're right, Jon, it's an essential. (It also has an unfair advantage - one of our five taste bud types is dedicated to it.)

Does something have to be a powder to be a spice? Because you can have whole spices like cloves or cardamom.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 weeks ago#8
Typing my earlier response to this topic made me realize how little distinction in my mind there was between spices and herbs, because my mind also jumped immediately to basil and oregano before landing on cayenne pepper (and the aforementioned cumin).

I mean, maybe it's five spice. Because there are five of them.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: freepizza

freepizza
3 weeks ago#9
The best spice is. What's the one where you smile alot?
"...you should try reading my posts being getting all emo." --FoxMetal

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 weeks ago#10
I don't really know what's a spice either. If it comes in one of those jars in that section of the grocery store it's on my list.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. What's the best spice?