You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Across the Technology Bridge

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#1
I was talking with my friend who works in a local school district. I asked her, "What percentage of your students have exclusively used Google Docs or other cloud-based services for their homework, papers, and projects, and have never used a Microsoft Office product?"

She said, without hesitation, "100%."

The effects of this are only starting to catch up to offices like mine in a university, where we were able to reasonably expect a student to navigate to, download, fill out, and return a .doc or .docx form. But now, in the G-Suite powered future, we're having to make preparations for students who have never opened a Document, Spreadsheet, or Presentation and instead have always used Google or cloud-based equivalents.

I always thought it would be something like telling a kid what using AOL was like, or AIM, or what a DVD was, but I really think that this is one of the technology bridges that separates me from the younger generation coming up behind me.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 week ago#2
It was interesting when I was talking about filetypes in my CS class when most of them weren't really familiar with seeing files like that. Especially as our class uses chromebooks.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#3
Oh that's going to be a problem for me down the road. Tracked changes get absolutely ruined when you transfer a file across platforms, and we use those for copy editing and that sort of thing.

I guess we could give up and go all in on Google running our entire business.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#4
willis5225 posted...
Oh that's going to be a problem for me down the road. Tracked changes get absolutely ruined when you transfer a file across platforms, and we use those for copy editing and that sort of thing.

I guess we could give up and go all in on Google running our entire business.

This is actually where it affected the department I work for. We have protected Word documents and PDFs that we use for contracts, and the write protections completely break when imported into anything other than a Microsoft or Adobe editor (as far as I understand.)
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Across the Technology Bridge