You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I just fell down a Wisterwood hole.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 week ago#1
There's this book being Kickstarted called "Better than IRL" about finding your people on the early-ish Internet, and I saw that they would take 5 submissions from people, on top of the listed contributors. And I thought, I could totally write an essay about PMS and the MTBoS (Math Twitter Blog-o-sphere). And to prep for that, I went into Wisterwood, and spent more time there than anticipated.

Funnily enough, I learned things about my past that I had totally forgotten!
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

Jacehan
1 week ago#2
I'm probably not going to actually write this. If I had realized it earlier, maybe, but the deadline is tomorrow.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 week ago#3
PMS is certainly quite the story.
Jacehan posted...
Funnily enough, I learned things about my past that I had totally forgotten!

Things like what?

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#5
This does make me think of the two or three internet communities I was a part of prior to PMS; the ones from the late 90s into the early 2000s that didn't quite make the leap beyond. There were a couple that I was on that were part of AOL's message board system that eventually got shut down, and we didn't quite survive the change over to a different, internet-based message board system at the time.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: freepizza

freepizza
1 week ago#6
Used to frequent the gamerevolution chat rooms. Chat rooms weren’t the best for communicating but after a while you recognized folks and got a sense of their personality. Of course I was just a troll.
"...you should try reading my posts being getting all emo." --FoxMetal

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
1 week ago#7
The Internet and its platforms rise and fall so quickly. I wonder what the kids of today will remember about their obscure communities twenty years from now...will they think about Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook the same way we think of PMS and Livejournal?
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#8
I do think there's a difference there in that we had relatively little choice in platform and also no real social expectation to be on any of those platforms. These days you have parents asking their kids to be more active on Facebook (for example) so that friends and relatives can see what they're up to, even if the kid isn't into it. In my mind it's almost a total reversal.

It also feels like today's platforms are so monolithic that some sort of shell of them will continue to persist. Even in 2006 I kept in mind and imported blogs I'd written on Myspace and put them on Facebook for "archival" purposes. But I wonder if people still feel the same permanence about any widely used platform today. Like is anyone archiving their own tweets for personal perusal today?
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: zztman5

zztman5
1 week ago#9
I still wish someone had managed to better archive the ZZT and Megazeux libraries on AOL. Even with the uploads, there are still things missing.
Ryan Stiles: Blue Suede Shoes?
Colin Mochrie: ...nice pants? - Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Song Titles

Jacehan
1 week ago#10
Things like that I was my exboyfriend's first kiss, or that I have, in fact, seen the entirety of Terminator 2.
Paper Mario Social:
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I just fell down a Wisterwood hole.