You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Obligatory Endgame Topic [No Unmarked Spoilers]

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
2 months ago#1
Will be marking all of my spoilers just in case someone stumbled in here on accident.

This perspective comes from someone who has had little more than passing interest in the MCU, and has only seen the following films in theatre:

Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Black Panther

And additionally I've watched the following movies on Netflix or other methods:
Ant-Man (most of it at a grad party several years ago)
Thor: Ragnarok (while I was out of commission with my delirious fever a monthish ago)
Avengers: Infinity War (but only sort of watching the first 1/2ish while talking to my dad about how to lower his cable bill and then the last half with most of my full attention)

So, I am not a super devout fan of the MCU but for what it's worth I do appreciate a good super hero movie and super hero story when well done and well told. I had a lot of exhaustion with super hero movies and overall am not a fan of the concept of "movies as TV" where it's expected you will have watched most, if not all, of 21 previous movies across 11 years in order to 1) not be gatekept as a fan of the franchises and 2) actually understand most of the plot of a given movie.

I think this is why I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther so much. Yes, they're woven into this larger universe, but neither required me to know entirely too much about previous overarching plot in order to appreciate a (largely) tightly told story with a clear beginning, middle, and end with characters whose motivations I could understand without watching 10 movies worth of backstory for.

My TL;DR review for Endgame is that I really liked Endgame. It was clever, had some fun twists and callbacks, and all the juicy action my watering eyes could take. Pound for pound, I do think Infinity War is a better movie, but I think this is precisely because I haven't invested all of the time that a bigger fan of the MCU than me has invested. I even walked out of the theatre thinking "I wish I was either a bigger fan or a lesser fan of these movies," knowing how much emotional impact it would have had if I were, and how much I wouldn't have had to worry about spoilers at all if I wasn't.

There's a lot that I liked in the movie (too much for me to list at this moment), but a definite top small moment for me was toward the end when Thor powers up, lightning hits him, and his scraggly beard transforms into a big braid. It's like the male version of a Sailor Moon transformation sequence I didn't know I needed. That's heavily contrasted with what is definitely one of the low moments of the movie for me, where they feature Thor and his two buddies from Thor: Ragnarok playing f***ing Fortnite of all things. I thought the scene itself was effective for showing how far Thor has fallen from his godly grace, but I absolutely hated that it was also a Fortnite product placement moment.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
2 months ago#2
I've seen about half the films:

Iron Man 1
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The Last Avenger
The last 30 minutes of Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers 1
Avengers: Infinity War
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Guardians vol. 1
Guardians vol. 2

So, no Thor movies, Ant Man movies, Captain Marvel, Spiderman, or Avengers 2. I think that's all of them.

Edit: Oh yeah and The Incredible Hulk. Didn't see that one either.

I loved Endgame and I was basically crying for entirety of the last 30 minutes.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 months ago#3
I've seen all of the films, and I was completely satisfied by the movie. It was great.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 months ago#4
Same, except that I think I missed Iron Man 2, and I definitely didn't see The Incredible Hulk. I think the payoff of Endgame was just massive and I'm so impressed at what an epic franchise it's been to be able to pay off that way. Wow.

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
2 months ago#5
All the epic multi-year sagas I'm following are ending within like a month of each other! Avengers, Game of Thrones, the Nicol Bolas Arc of Magic: the Gathering... Of those, so far, Endgame is the only one that hasn't been massively flubbed IMO. It was very well done.

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
2 months ago#6
HeyDude posted...
Same, except that I think I missed Iron Man 2, and I definitely didn't see The Incredible Hulk. I think the payoff of Endgame was just massive and I'm so impressed at what an epic franchise it's been to be able to pay off that way. Wow.

I think this is what made me really feel like the movie, despite how much I enjoyed it, really wasn't for me.

(ENDING SPOILERS)
I registered how much of an emotional moment that Tony Stark/Iron Man taking Thanos and his army out was -supposed- to be, but to me, an uninvested, casual fan, I felt like it was such a major tonal shift and abrupt ending to the epic battle. And then, somewhat appropriately so, it lingers for an eternity in the epilogue after the battle. I preferred the end of Infinity War because it leaves you so breathless. You're asking "what's happening to everyone," just like everyone on the screen is, and then it ends with you wanting so much more.

I liked all of the individual pieces, too. Like in the battle, I like how cleverly they took out all of the characters that are clearly too powerful for 2014 Thanos to take on (Wanda, Carol, Dr Strange, among others), and there's a lot of clever teamwork among the heroes, and all the fanservice you could want. But that ending just kept lingering and lingering and lingering and I just felt how much this was written for -not me-. Maybe if I'd invested that much time into all of those movies I'd felt differently, but I recognized how the effect was supposed to be bigger on me and it wasn't.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 months ago#7
Uh say what about Nicol Bolas? The very expensive dragon? From 1995?

I enjoyed Endgame more than enough (and I kind of snoozed through Civil War and Infinity War). There were a couple of cool moments that reminded me how weird it was that this synthetic media property was allowed to exist. "Well, I am Iron Man" took me straight back to seeing Sam Jackson at the end of Iron Man. I did not expect to be affected that way.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
2 months ago#8
willis5225 posted...
Uh say what about Nicol Bolas? The very expensive dragon? From 1995?

Oh. Uh, so Nicol Bolas is back and has been one of the main antagonists of Magic: the Gathering's story, and in particular is the Big Bad of the major story arc of the last few years. So now he's also an expensive dragon from 2019!

The latest set of Magic cards, and the tie-in novel for the set, depict the war between a ragtag assemblage of dozens of planeswalkers from all over Magic's lore and the unified forces of Nicol Bolas as he is about to fulfill his long-term convoluted plan for dominating the multiverse. It felt a lot like Endgame and used a lot of the same tropes, including unexpected team-ups, a Big Bad who can beat anyone at single combat, betrayal by the Big Bad's lieutenants, a heroic sacrifice, and lots and lots of shameless fanservice in the form of Awesome things happening Awesomely because they are Cool. It was very hard to miss the similarities.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
2 months ago#9
I watched the movie last night and thought it was great. I'm not a super devout fan either, but I've talked to people who are into the franchise enough to know that Iron Man's death was heavily foreshadowed/RDJr.'s contract was expiring. As such, the ending felt like an appropriate goodbye for me. As far as anyone knows, this basically is the end of the franchise.

Black Widow is getting an origin story set in the past, and I think Guardians of the Galaxy 3 takes place before Infinity War. If that's the case, the next Spiderman movie will be the final "cinematic universe" story and the only one that will show the aftermath of Endgame.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Obligatory Endgame Topic [No Unmarked Spoilers]