You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I may have been overpaying my taxes for the past 9 years.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 month ago#1
I get a fellowship stipend from Math for America just for being a cool teacher, and TurboTax has called that self-employment income all of this time, which it is not, so I've probably paid thousands of dollars in taxes over what I should have paid. (Like, maybe $3000 per year.)

My friend suggested I submit an amended tax return for previous years to get some of that money back. I hope I can - that would be a nice windfall.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#2
Have you considered straight-up white collar crime instead? It is faster.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Jacehan
1 month ago#3
I mean, yeah, sure, but it probably wouldn't work out in the long run.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 month ago#4
Is that something you'd need to consult a CPA or something similar for? In any case I'm hoping you get things adjusted correctly (and in your favor.)
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

Jacehan
1 month ago#5
Yeah, I'll probably talk to an accountant about it.

The funny thing is, back when I first joined MfA and had this big tax bill, I went to my ex's aunt, who was an accountant at H&R Block, to check it and she told me the exact same number as TurboTax, so I just assumed TurboTax was right. (I hope for his sake she figured it out later, as he is also in MfA.)
Paper Mario Social:

Jacehan
1 month ago#6
Well, it turns out TurboTax has a way of amending returns right in it, so I'm going to do that. It says I'll get back about $1800 for each year I amend. Unfortunately, you can't go more than 3 years back.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#7
Oof. That blows.

But at least you funded our valuable public goods and services at a slightly higher rate? #patriotism?
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I may have been overpaying my taxes for the past 9 years.