You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Today, I played video games on the internet for the first time in my adult life!

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#1
80/80

So anyway, I bought a subscription to the Switch thingie, and I'm home by myself with what I think must be the flu based on how debilitated I am (it is my eighteenth malady this cold and flu season). I am not up for anything complicated, so I thought I would play some multiplayer standards with my downtime.

I was completely prepared for how I suck at Smash, but did you know that I also suck at Mario Kart somehow? I actually played racers obsessively throughout high school (remember Quantum Red Shift? No? No one anywhere does?) and all of that was without value in the low-ranking competitive Maro Kart scene.

I was even more surprised to find out how bad I am at Tetris. I capped out at a 53/99 after a series of what I recognize as lucky breaks.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

willis5225
1 month ago#2
Oh and my friend code is SW-3978-1282-7205. I actually really enjoy the "you can only say one of like sixteen things" restriction, because it means that people mostly say supportive things.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 month ago#3
If you want to play Smash and train up, let me know. I play with a regular group (that my friend invited me to) or we can get some 1v1 play going.

Playing Smash with friends has made me realize what the thrill was that my friends who used to play Destiny and other online collaborative games.

Did you give Tetris 99 a shot? That's a truly thrilling experience, but probably slightly less thrilling if Tetris isn't your thing.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

willis5225
1 month ago#4
Yeah, I have to say online Mario Kart made me get the appeal that online Halo had in 2009, which had been kind of a mystery to me this whole time. Tetris 99 was the thing I was sucking at, but you're looking at the guy who just placed 11th in a match which is pretty good.
-Mimir

Kylo Force
1 month ago#5
Top 20 in Tetris 99 is no easy feat. The competition weekend coming up is when all of the deadly masters come out from hiding and the level of play ramps up significantly. The last time they had a competition weekend was a humbling reminder of how skim milk I am at Tetris compared to the absolute cream of the crop.

If you have access to a PS4, I do recommend Tetris Effect if you prefer a single player Tetris experience. It's not an exaggeration to say that it's a genuine experience and adventure.
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
1 month ago#6
I can't believe you haven't played a game online until now.

That's like, bonkers to me.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

Kylo Force
1 month ago#7
Prior to this, my only experience with playing games online was:

-Online VS in Tetris DS, 1v1
-Pokemon battles in DPP vs my cousin in California
-Smash 4 online battles (always with friends)

But in terms of "put on a headset and play online with people", literally almost never.

willis5225
1 month ago#8
Yeah, I should clarify that I've played like a couple of skirmishes in Star Craft II. Don't Starve Together happened a couple of times. But never like "oh let me go join a match and then I'm going to choose of my own volition to keep playing in that match."
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Today, I played video games on the internet for the first time in my adult life!