You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Anyone been watching Umbrella Academy?

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
4 weeks ago#1
It's been very good so far, and has had the perfect mix of light-hearted and dramatic moments for me.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 weeks ago#2
I've heard it mentioned often, but what is it?
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

ShadowSpy
4 weeks ago#3
Hmm..it's a a show about a group of adopted siblings, all of which were born on the same day and have super powers. They were originally all selected to form a superhero crime-fighting team, but that fell apart when they were 17 and went their separate ways. Now they are 30 years old and have gathered again for their father's funeral.

The show uses a lot of dark humor, and explores themes of parental and familial abuse, dysfunctional families, and quite a bit of violence. It's much less a superhero story and more of a family drama + mystery story, since the family is hiding a lot of secrets.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
4 weeks ago#4
A friend of mine sent me a .pdf of the... book? First trade of the book? in maybe 2007 and told me I'd like it, and the art was so atrocious I could never get more than a few pages in, which was not far enough to get to the premise of the book. It was a very curious experience to see it pop up on Netflix after several years of sitting on my hard drive basically unopened.

Anyway, we watched Russian Doll instead. But I'll gladly take this recommendation.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#5
Dung and I watched it all on my snow day on Monday. It was weird, but I liked it. (He didn't.)
Paper Mario Social:

ShadowSpy
2 weeks ago#6
Yeah, I think I've heard a range of reactions about the show at this point. Out of curiosity, why didn't Dung like it? Just the weirdness?

I know the ending was controversial for a lot of people, but I thought it was an interesting one which subverted some of my expectations.

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#7
He thought all of the characters made stupid decisions.
Paper Mario Social:

ShadowSpy
2 weeks ago#8
Ah...yeah, haha. I mean, they did make stupid decisions! But that's also what was pretty entertaining.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Anyone been watching Umbrella Academy?