You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Invitation inquiry

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 weeks ago#1
Let's say you plan a get together at your house / a friend's house and you say things are kicking off "around 6."

In your mind, what is the time window in which you would expect people to show up (and if different, what time would people actually show up?)

This weekend I had a get together at my place and made the mistake of using "about 6" instead of "at 6." The first few people showed up at 6:40, and two other couples showed up at 8:45. The later arriving couples had adequate reasons though (one couple was moving all day and it taking a lot longer than they expected, and the other couple's dog ate a cigarette and got super sick.)

Or do you avoid this problem all together and just say exactly when you expect people to arrive?
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#2
Well, the thing is, you never want to show up before a stated time, as the host may not be ready. So while around six might mean, say, 5:45 to 6:15, you can't assume that, so you go for 6-6:30 instead. (6:40 is pretty late, I say.)

To avoid this, I like to give a time with both a start and end, so say "Come on over at like 6-6:30," which puts a range on what is acceptable.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 weeks ago#3
The range is always a better option but my mind definitely lapsed on this one. And of course, you don't want to show up early. In all honesty this is almost never a problem, I think I just noticed it more this time around because I was really ready to have people over at 6:00, wondered where people were at 6:20, was pleasantly surprised if not irked at 6:40, and definitely wanted to kill the people who showed up at 8:45 (before finding out what the circumstances were.)
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 weeks ago#4
I'd have expected most of the crew to be there between 6 and 6:30.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 weeks ago#5
If I say "6:00" there are people I expect to arrive at 6:00 and people I expect to arrive at 7:30 because they reliably forget to walk the dog into the cigarette or whatever.

On the other side, I would shoot for six but I'm kind of a bad person and would arrive at 6:15-6:30.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Invitation inquiry