You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Working the later shift has not been as great as I hoped.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#1
It's state test week, so they need people to work later shifts to proctor the afternoon exams. I usually volunteer for that because it gives me a chance to sleep in, but often if the exams finish early they let you go home early. Well, I'm just so used to waking up early I am barely sleeping in (but I am a little, so it's still nice), there's not enough time in the morning before work to get things done, and they are making us stay the whole time. (I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a school for law follows the rules to the letter.)

On the other hand, my commute has been very pleasant, so that's good.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
3 weeks ago#2
Yeah, driving during non-rush hours is always a pleasant surprise.

Are you allowed to do other things while waiting for things to end?
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#3
Yeah, so I can be productive, or read a book, that's fine.

They actually did let us go an hour early this evening, so that was nice. Tomorrow's back to the regular schedule anyway.
Paper Mario Social:

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#4
Now I know how people who clopen feel. That should definitely be illegal.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 weeks ago#5
What is clopen?

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 weeks ago#6
Working from... close to open?

You know I didn't question this at all when I read it yesterday and now I'm questioning my reading comprehension.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#7
It's a word indicative of our modern age and late stage capitalism. It is someone who works a closing shift, usually at a retail store, and then works the opening shift the next day. (So, like, say, they work 3-11 pm on Monday, then 6AM - 2 pm on Tuesday.) Algorithms that schedule workers like these schedules because they are more efficient, as the person who closes knows what they did and need to do to open again. It is terrible for workers, though.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 weeks ago#8
Any time I've been an academic conference organizer and needed to be there until the close of activities on one day late into the night and then needed to be back there earliest in the morning, I've wanted to maybe die (or at least pass out from exhaustion.) It's ugly, man.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
2 weeks ago#9
Work sucks
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Working the later shift has not been as great as I hoped.