• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I went to Big Bad Con this past weekend! (Or, yet another TTRPG topic)

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
1 year ago#61
Not exactly. They're two priests and a cop, and they're investigating various weird incidents, some involving undead, that will eventually lead to them learning about nasty extraplanar beings that are draining all the psychic power out of all living and undead beings, which turns out, in this universe, to be the reason why animals need to sleep.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
1 year ago#62
ooh. Sounds fun.

I think even plants need to sleep, to a certain extent, but I guess they don't exactly have much psychic power.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

ShadowSpy
1 year ago#63
I'll be playing in a Glitch one-shot this Saturday! I've been meaning to try this out; it should be fun!

This game is actually part of a fundraising campaign for the protests. If anyone wants to play a ttrpg this weekend, there's lots of games available right now (though the Glitch game is full up). Check them out here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScdLHJcvqzFrxeTeueMb8llsdAmcNLMSKa5WkK7nMDi3l2BMQ/viewform
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

ShadowSpy
10 months ago#64
Haven't updated in a while! Wow, haven't updated in 3 months, actually?!?!

From what I remember...the Glitch game was pretty fun. I played a not-person who was Dying of Narrative Catharsis, where as he spends more and more time in the real world, reality glitches out and puts extremely engrossing stories in front of him which go on and on and never actually reach a climax. As he gets absorbed in the story, he grows roots, turns into a tree, and then dies, only for the Glitch to bring him back sometime later. It was pretty fun.

My two play-by-post games are chugging along, but super slow. I've learned to be patient with them.

And I've also run two Blades in the Dark sessions last month and yesterday, both of which were pretty fun! Blades tells a crime fiction story, set in a post-apocalyptic Victorian-era steampunk city surrounded by giant electric fences to keep out ghosts. I think I'm becoming more confident as a GM at improvising, so I'm going to keep trying to run more monthly games like this.

Kodiologist
10 months ago#65
I signed up for a Starfinder campaign GMed by a guy I like, and I made a character and got all excited, but there's no indication of when it will actually start. Feels bad, man.

If board games are on-topic, though, I played the first mission of an Arkham Horror campaign last Saturday with my cousins, which was fun. And we recently completed a campaign of Star Wars Imperial Assault that's been one of the highlights of the pandemic for me. The funny thing about it is that the game felt so heavily stacked against the Imperial player that it was almost a joke, and then, on the very last mission, he pulled out a surprise victory and won the campaign.
Get ye flask

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
10 months ago#66
I had started a campaign of Imperial Assualt right before the pandemic - so we haven't played for months, but I look forward to getting back to it. I think the Imperials won both of the missions we did.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

Kodiologist
10 months ago#67
Vassal has a module for Imperial Assault that we used.
Get ye flask

ShadowSpy
10 months ago#68
The more the merrier, I guess! I was playing a solo game of Kingdom Death for a while and got to Lantern Year 8 or so. But I eventually lost steam just because the game requires so much thinking and I wasn't in the mood for it.

Has anyone played the Pandemic Legacy or Risk Legacy games? I've heard really good things about both of them.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
10 months ago#69
I've played Pandemic Legacy season 1, and Will has played both seasons. We're also in the middle of a long campaign of Risk Legacy together, long because we play it pretty infrequently. I found both to be pretty enjoyable - Risk Legacy is certainly the best version of Risk, but still suffers from being Risk.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
10 months ago#70
Pandemic Legacy is the best. No notes. The seasons play very differently, which is a serious accomplishment (even if Season 2 is a little less even than Season 1).

I've also played Betrayal Legacy, but the campaign kind of petered out because of a breakup. Also like Risk, I think Betrayal might fundamentally be a bad game that is saved by the flavor/gimmicks? But with Risk the legacy mechanics tend to speed up the game, whereas here the story beats and side quests and everything really draw out a swingy, sloggy, confused game that just doesn't feel that great to play more than once in a while.

Put another way: In Pandemic legacy, the story elements/side quests tend to be well integrated with the core game. You generally advance a metagame quest by doing something that would be appealing in a typical game anyway. (Or the metagame quest is a straight-up victory condition.) In Risk Legacy, similarly you advance the legacy stuff by pounding on each other in cutthroat land-grabs. Betrayal doesn't know what kind of game it is, so the legacy systems clash with the core gameplay sometimes. I've had occasions where I take an item that levels up purely to see what it will do three games from now, and then I'll shoot someone on my team with it because the Haunt's going really badly we all agree that I might as well get weapon experience so we can have see what the weapon does three games from now.

Good, focused games make good legacy games. Okay, unfocused games have their flaws highlighted.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I went to Big Bad Con this past weekend! (Or, yet another TTRPG topic)
  • Post New Message